gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: 2006 Sierra Evap System Leak

Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 AM

Default 2006 Sierra Evap System Leak

While camping recently I took my 06 1500 Sierra down a road that I shouldn't have. It wasn't muddy or very rough but it was rocky. I didn't scrape on anything but I must have flexed something crawling down the trail. Again, not horribly bad thats why I was surprised when I got back on the main road and the check engine light came on. I got down the road and the tighten fuel cap message came up. I have since lubricated the cap o-ring. I crawled under the truck and everything seems to be in order. There is a plastic box with a picture of a fuel pump on it, and a circular plastic valve with a 2 prong plug going to it. Can someone tell me what these two items are? All lines seem to be in good shape. Has anyone had a similar issue to this or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 08-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumitim View Post
While camping recently I took my 06 1500 Sierra down a road that I shouldn't have. It wasn't muddy or very rough but it was rocky. I didn't scrape on anything but I must have flexed something crawling down the trail. Again, not horribly bad thats why I was surprised when I got back on the main road and the check engine light came on. I got down the road and the tighten fuel cap message came up. I have since lubricated the cap o-ring. I crawled under the truck and everything seems to be in order. There is a plastic box with a picture of a fuel pump on it, and a circular plastic valve with a 2 prong plug going to it. Can someone tell me what these two items are? All lines seem to be in good shape. Has anyone had a similar issue to this or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tim
The circular plastic valve is your EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System and the plastic box is your EVAP canister. If you have a DTC code of P0449, the repair cost is about $1,200.00 at the Dealer so here is what it's going to take for you to get the job done in about an hour and with common tools other then the Scanner to read the DTC codes.

Here are the parts needed for you Sierra. http://gmpartsdirect.com/
Parts Required for my 2006 GMC Sierra/Chevrolet Silverado, Crew Cab, 5.3 liter engine.
Part# Quant. Description Price
19152349 (1) Evap Vent Solenoid $ 78.00
9438383 (1) 5/8" Heater Hose $ 23.00
15620999 (4) Hose Clamps $ 1.49

Here is link to your EVAP system on your Sierra.
http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...03&grouptype=B

Here is a TSB on your EVAP system and how to clean if first before replacing the valve.

#02-06-04-037F: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Check Engine Light On (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit) - (Aug 5, 2009)

Subject: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Check Engine Light On (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit)

Models: 1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Models
1999-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Models
2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Excluding Hybrid)
2007-2009 GMC Sierra Models (Excluding Hybrid)

Condition
Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the check engine light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.

Cause
Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.

Correction (1999-2007 Classic/Old Style Models)
After following the published SI diagnostics for P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the MIL light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent valve assembly with a new assembly. This new assembly is a sealed unit that is designed to be vented through a remote filter box. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.

Important: DO NOT replace the EVAP canister assembly for this concern unless it fails the leak test.

2004-2007 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19152349)
Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.
Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
Disconnect the canister pipe from the vent valve.
Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket. Discard the old valve.
Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) to remove the quick connect end.

Material Allowance:
19207763 (2004-2009 Model Year)
Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve

Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.
Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.
Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.
Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.
Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.
Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.
Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.
Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.
Lower the vehicle.

Good luck and hope this helps