gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Canyon Forum

GMC Canyon Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Canyon

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: What is wrong with my brake lights on my 2007 GMC Canyon Truck?

Old 11-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Default What is wrong with my brake lights on my 2007 GMC Canyon Truck?

I was just pulled over for not having brake lights. Back up lights work, tail lights work when light switch is on, and my fuses seem to check out. What else could this be? I didn't check every fuse yet but I'm almost to that point. No idiot lights are glowing on the panel either. I'm stumped.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:42 PM

There is a stop switch located on your brake pedal that might be messed up, especially if you have no brake lights. SInce the vehicle is a 2007, it should be under warranty. If you get it repaired quickly, take a reciept of what you did to repair it to court and they should only give you a fix it ticket-$30, or they might throw it out all together.
note:
1. )if the switch was sticking the lights would remain on constantly. When the switch closes, the circuit is complete allowing voltage to go to the brake lights
2.) The brake light circiut is not the same as the instrument panel, the tail light circiut is.
3.) Brake lights and turn signals sometimes use the same wires, however the input is different-
4.) the main problem with a complete loss of brake lights is almost always the switch
5.) power is always on at this switch, even with the key off, so use caution if testing for voltage or continuity