gmc forums   gmc forums

ATTENTION: We'd like to start off 2014 right and to do that, we need moderators. If you're interested in helping out,
please use the contact link at the bottom of any page to get in touch with me. Thank you very much! And have a safe/happy new year...

Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles No Longer In Production > GMC Jimmy Forum

GMC Jimmy Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Jimmy

GMC Forum: 1997 GMC Jimmy BATTERY KEEPS DYING?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Default 1997 GMC Jimmy BATTERY KEEPS DYING?

I've had this problem for quite some time now. I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy and the battery is dying. I'm am not a skilled mechanic but I'll will start off with what I know is NOT the problem.

1) I know its not the alternator I've had that tested at Autozone.

2) I"ve replaced the Starter so that's good to go.

3) The connections to the battery are clean

4) This will be my 4th battery I've purchased from walmart

I noticed something before I began to come on yahoo answers and ask this question (because it just happened) all my interior device are working (radio,temperature lights, ect). After I get a jump the truck runs fine,its just when I try to start it after its been sitting over night. So like I said I"m not a mechanic but I know its something drawing juice from my battery and hope someone could help out with this problem.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 PM

Let me get this straight. You would rather spend the money on FOUR new batterys rather than take it to an automotive electrical shop. OK!
I'll just say that an automotive electrical shop should have all the necessary equipment to check out the vehicle and figure out what is the problem
Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM

if the battery last about a few days then dies it sound like the alternator auto zone is lying try looking up a motor electric a Business that works on nothing but alternators and starters they can bench test them both i would never trust a place like auto zone also you can go get a multi meter from kregen or auto zone if you touch the multi meter to the positive and negative it should say something like 9 volts to 12.5 volts this is your battery power then start it somehow and do it again it should say like 14 volts if the alternator is working if the number doesn't change from the first time you checked it its a bad alternator you can also put this device on the started positive and negative and get a reading a Standard battery has 12 volts when a car is running it can be higher like 14 volts because its charging if its dying it will go all the way down slowly so my advice go get a multimeter its like 20 dollars and you Will track down the problem!!!!