gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles No Longer In Production > GMC Sonoma Forum

GMC Sonoma Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sonoma

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: Location of O2 Sensor

Old 03-31-2010, 04:35 PM

Default Location of O2 Sensor

Can someone please tell me where the O2 Sensor is located on a 1993 GMC Sonoma. I've been told this is why my truck is running crappy and need to replace it.

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM

Default O2 Sensor?

Wanted to give a bit more detail on what my problem is:

Everyday my truck starts out good, like this morning, I was driving to work and could feel it "miss" then, start running bad - the Check Engine Light comes on. The truck runs bad, missing , etc. If/When I shut the truck off, the light goes off and the truck runs fine again.

I've had so many problems with my old truck and am at my witts end, if anyone can help me with my issue, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks, Tony
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk4013 View Post
Wanted to give a bit more detail on what my problem is:

Everyday my truck starts out good, like this morning, I was driving to work and could feel it "miss" then, start running bad - the Check Engine Light comes on. The truck runs bad, missing , etc. If/When I shut the truck off, the light goes off and the truck runs fine again.

I've had so many problems with my old truck and am at my witts end, if anyone can help me with my issue, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks, Tony
Start with finding out why your check engine light is coming on, this way there is no expensive guessing work. Here is a link for you to retrieve the DTC codes and post me back. Be glad to help you get your Sonoma running 100% again soon.

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Molson.....

Thank you for the information. I will take it to a nearby Auto place to read the code as soon as it comes on again, and re-post. It may be a day or so, the light doesn't come on everyday but, I do appreciate your help.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 PM

We read the computer codes and got the following codes:

33 - MAP Sensor
34 - Vaccuum Sensor or MAP Sensor

43 - Electronic Spark Timing (EST)
45 - O2 Sensor

We replaced the MAP Sensor & the Oxygen sensor. The truck isn't running "as bad" as it was but now, when I hit 5th gear it seems to lug and feels like it's loosing power.

Could my CLUTCH be slipping? or Could this be a SPARK Plug issue?

The "Check Engine Light" hasn't come back on but, I only replaced the sensors last night and, have reset the computer.

Any ideas what to try next???
Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Cool

Quote:
We read the computer codes and got the following codes:

33 - MAP Sensor
34 - Vaccuum Sensor or MAP Sensor

43 - Electronic Spark Timing (EST)
45 - O2 Sensor

We replaced the MAP Sensor & the Oxygen sensor. The truck isn't running "as bad" as it was but now, when I hit 5th gear it seems to lug and feels like it's loosing power.

Could my CLUTCH be slipping? or Could this be a SPARK Plug issue?

The "Check Engine Light" hasn't come back on but, I only replaced the sensors last night and, have reset the computer.

Any ideas what to try next???
Simple, just finieh doing your tune up, repalce the fuel filter, spark plugs and spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Also clean out your Throttle body with throttle body cleaner, not carburator cleaner. The carb cleaner is to corrosive to the gaskets used on the throttle body,

Replace any vacuum lines that are damaged and is causing you to loose any vacuum throughout your engine. The sensors as you well have found out by now run of the vacuum of the engine as to manipulate it's performance.

Start with what has been mentioned above and check your engine timing last.

Good luck and please keep us posted and it's not your clutch slipping to make your engine bog down.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Molson,
Check Engine light came on on my way home from work again today.

The computer read a Code: 43 Electronic Spark Control. Going now to buy a ESC Knock Sensor - the chilton book says this will result in sluggish performance so, I'm hoping this is what it is.

Will also check what you stated above and buy the cleaner too and, double check the GAP settings on the Spark Plugs.

Thanks for your help!! Tony
Old 04-08-2010, 04:43 PM

Default 1993 GMC Sonoma

Molson,

I was on my way home from work today and that darn check engine light came on again.

Read the code: 43 - Electronic Spark Control Unit.

Should I check the spark plugs before I go buy another part or, should I go buy a new ESC Knock Sensor?

Thank you for all your help. Tony
Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM

Cool

Quote:
Molson,

I was on my way home from work today and that darn check engine light came on again.

Read the code: 43 - Electronic Spark Control Unit.

Should I check the spark plugs before I go buy another part or, should I go buy a new ESC Knock Sensor?

Thank you for all your help. Tony
Before you by a new knock sensor (code 43) try disconecting the wire lead to the sensor. It's located on the passneger side I believe on the 4.3, there is going to be one wire lead to it. When you do go to replace the knock sensor, make sure the engine is cold since it's screwes in to the watrer jackets.

There are two timing system on your 4.3, one is the elsectronic timing (EST) which controls the actual timing of the ignition system according to the throttle position and MAP, speed sensors ECT...

The other is the knock sensor (ESC) electronic spark control which will retard the timing if the engine encounters detonation (know as knock or ping). Cheap fuel or badly tuned engine full of carbon will cause the detonation which will put your engine in a reduced power as the timing will be retarded to stop tge detonation.

A faulty Knock sensor that is overly sensitive will pick up the vibration from the lifters and gice the ecm faulty signals to reduce the timing which will give you the low power issues your having.

Start with that and keep me psted and be safe, well get your Sonoma running like a dream yet.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Default GMC Sonoma

Molson,

My GMC Sonoma is a 2.8L. I'm working now trying to get the Knock Sensor off but don't know how to get the electrical cord off the end of it.

Any guidance you can give me would help.

Thanks! Tony