gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles No Longer In Production > GMC Sonoma Forum

GMC Sonoma Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sonoma

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: 1996 GMC Sonoma Starter Wiring Diagram Needed - New Member

Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Exclamation 1996 GMC Sonoma Starter Wiring Diagram Needed - New Member

Hi all - new member - my brief:
25 Year old Shop Manager for First Student in Huntingdon Valley PA
Former SAAB tech - still active in Saab community and plans to take over an independent shop next year.

The Fleet;

1973 Saab 95 (Ford V4) 4 speed on the collum - 7 passenger 2 door wagon

1986 9000 Turbo (First Year Car - just aquired)

1990 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible (For Sale)

1993 Geo Metro (Commuter Fuel Saver)

1995 Saab 9000 Super CS (The toy - Stage 4 300whp)

1996 GMC Sonoma 2.2L RWD DD Work Truck

2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon - Family Hauler

I am in process of replacing my failed Clucth Slave cylinder - and clutch - while in here NOW - I am trying to repair the previous owners starter harness hack job and I NEED a diagram on the starting circuit for a 2.2L to I can put it back to OEM spec. I have a red wire on the passenger side which was cut and hanging out doing nothing. Driver side there is a brown wire poorly spliced into a extra long red wire which goes to the starter on the solenoid.

Previous owner installed a new lead from the starter relay to the power block on the D/S inner fender with a fused link and then to the starter from there.

Problem is - when you goto start - it does nothing for a few tries then it starts.

I would like to fix this NOW while I have the trans on the floor - but if not I am putting it back in the way it is and will have to address it another time. I need me truck to go home today

Thanks all in advance

~Jeff~

OK - found this and pieced it together from online;

In this truck I have good wires now from 85 of the relay - "Purple" in my truck to the starter solenoid - there is a splice I will fix someone has at the starter to make it longer, just done poorly. Resistance from the connector of the relay to that wire is.4OHMS

The fused link wire FROM the power block was eliminated originally by the PO - I have since inspected the 30AMP fuse and it's good so I went ahead and reconnected this to the power block. It has OL Resistance to the black wire at the relay connector of 30. Open Fault here...

87 in my truck IS a Brown wire @ the connector - this goes back to the clutch pedal switch I guess... This I have not checked yet.

88 @ the connector in my truck is RED - this wire seems to go somewhere....

That diagram does not seem to correspond very accurately with my truck...

Last edited by Burnsside42; 09-06-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added 2nd Half - Diag Details

Old 09-06-2010, 12:38 PM

In this truck I have good wires now from 85 of the relay - "Purple" in my truck to the starter solenoid - there is a splice I will fix someone has at the starter to make it longer, just done poorly. Resistance from the connector of the relay to that wire is.4OHMS

The fused link wire FROM the power block was eliminated originally by the PO - I have since inspected the 30AMP fuse and it's good so I went ahead and reconnected this to the power block. It has OL Resistance to the black wire at the relay connector of 30. Open Fault here...

87 in my truck IS a Brown wire @ the connector - this goes back to the clutch pedal switch I guess... This I have not checked yet.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:55 PM

why is it I can not view my post anymore? This forum seems to have page loading content errors....

Since I cant see what I wrote - here is the last bit I entered;