gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles No Longer In Production > GMC Sonoma Forum

GMC Sonoma Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sonoma

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: Truck="missing"or"starving"engine of fuel during acceleration-EGRvalve or Injectors?

Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Default Truck="missing"or"starving"engine of fuel during acceleration-EGRvalve or Injectors?

My 98 GMC SONOMA 2.2 LITER 4 CYLINDER has been seemingly "missing" or "starving" for about 4 months now. It drives ok then, during acceleration, it seems to "miss" and semi "jerk" the entire vehicle - as though the engine simply isn't getting enough fuel to continue the acceleration process.

Also, the CHECK ENGINE light is popping up on occasion.

I assumed it was either clogged injectors or an old fuel filter so I replaced the filter (which did nothing?) but before I spent the grand on new injectors I was told about this EGR valve thing. Since this is a MUCH cheaper fix I was intrigued as to the validity of this as a solution.

Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman33 View Post
My 98 GMC SONOMA 2.2 LITER 4 CYLINDER has been seemingly "missing" or "starving" for about 4 months now. It drives ok then, during acceleration, it seems to "miss" and semi "jerk" the entire vehicle - as though the engine simply isn't getting enough fuel to continue the acceleration process.

Also, the CHECK ENGINE light is popping up on occasion.

I assumed it was either clogged injectors or an old fuel filter so I replaced the filter (which did nothing?) but before I spent the grand on new injectors I was told about this EGR valve thing. Since this is a MUCH cheaper fix I was intrigued as to the validity of this as a solution.

Any ideas?
Start with the simple and have your Sonoma scanned for the DTC codes. Auto Zone scan free of charge, it could be a simple TPS having a bad spot and will need to be replaced or a faulty knock sensor.

Start with the scan and also would not be a bad thing to clean out your engine with http://www.seafoamsales.com/.

Read this post http://gmcowners.com/gmc-forum/showthread.php?t=13770 Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson02536 View Post
Start with the simple and have your Sonoma scanned for the DTC codes. Auto Zone scan free of charge, it could be a simple TPS having a bad spot and will need to be replaced or a faulty knock sensor.

Start with the scan and also would not be a bad thing to clean out your engine with http://www.seafoamsales.com/.

Read this post http://gmcowners.com/gmc-forum/showthread.php?t=13770 Good luck and keep us posted.
Ok quick update - called Auto Zone and they no longer do the free CHECK ENGINE LIGHT scan, apparently its a chain-wide "we no longer do" thing? But, the salesman was nice enough to tell me that AAMCO does do the scan for free so I am off to get it checked there.

Also, when I replaced my fuel filter I added a product similar to seafoam to my gas tank - cant recall the name of it - but it claims to do just what you claim seafoam does. Something tells me that seafoam is better so as soon as I use up this tank of gas I will pour in (w a funnel, as you said) a can of seafoam.

Thus far, I have used about a 1/4 tank of the "treated" gas and it does seem to be a slight bit better, but the problem is still there and has always been intermittent so who knows if it is REALLY doing anything or not at this early stage.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:38 PM

Ok quick update - called Auto Zone and they no longer do the free CHECK ENGINE LIGHT scan, apparently its a chain-wide "we no longer do" thing? But, the salesman was nice enough to tell me that AAMCO does do the scan for free so I am off to get it checked there.

2 codes came back - P0122 (Throttle Pedal Position sensor A Ckt) & P1626 (Theft Deterrent System Fuel Enable Ckt)

Any idea what these mean?

Also, when I replaced my fuel filter I added a product similar to seafoam to my gas tank - cant recall the name of it - but it claims to do just what you claim seafoam does. Something tells me that seafoam is better so as soon as I use up this tank of gas I will pour in (w a funnel, as you said) a can of seafoam.

Thus far, I have used about a 1/4 tank of the "treated" gas and it does seem to be a slight bit better, but the problem is still there and has always been intermittent so who knows if it is REALLY doing anything or not at this early stage.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:18 PM

Cool

Quote:

2 codes came back - P0122 (Throttle Pedal Position sensor A Ckt) & P1626 (Theft Deterrent System Fuel Enable Ckt)

Any idea what these mean?

Replace your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). best place for you to pick one up is at the Salvage Yard. $5.00 and it`s your when you pick it out your self from a Salvaged Sonoma. At that price, pick up two for good luck

This will address the P0122 code and i would not worry about the P1626 for now. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:08 PM

Ok so I ran through a full tank of injector cleaner (not seafoam but I do plan on using it) and the "missing" issue seemed to vanish almost entirely - not completely, but almost entirely. So here is the weird part - as my tank emptied the problem grew worse.

My tank is 18.5 gallons and over the years I have figured out that the "fuel" light pops on with about 2 gallons left in the tank. This specific tank (which was filled w the injector cleaner) seemed to run smoothly until a few miles AFTER the "fuel light" popped on. Basically, when the tank was near empty the truck started to "miss" and "surge" again - and this time it was BAD - almost to the point of "non-operational". This then reminded me of the last time this happened, and it was the exact same scenario - the tank was near empty and the truck freaked.

Yesterday I re-filled the tank and PRESTO, the "check engine" light vanished and the truck was running again - not perfectly but about 80% better.

So, my old man (who worked for NAPA for 40 years) mentioned this: Apparently an old colleague of his had a similar issue with an older GM PICKUP TRUCK (v8 engine). When his tank would get low, his truck would start to "miss" badly - when they finally found the problem, it was the filter/sock in the tank itself.

I have already replaced the "fuel filter" outside the tank, so, can we assume that MY fuel pump may have some sort of a filter on it as well? And if this is the case, can we also assume that if we replace said fuel pump in its entirety, the issue could be solved?

Last edited by antman33; 10-10-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Cool

Quote:
Ok so I ran through a full tank of injector cleaner (not seafoam but I do plan on using it) and the "missing" issue seemed to vanish almost entirely - not completely, but almost entirely. So here is the weird part - as my tank emptied the problem grew worse.

My tank is 18.5 gallons and over the years I have figured out that the "fuel" light pops on with about 2 gallons left in the tank. This specific tank (which was filled w the injector cleaner) seemed to run smoothly until a few miles AFTER the "fuel light" popped on. Basically, when the tank was near empty the truck started to "miss" and "surge" again - and this time it was BAD - almost to the point of "non-operational". This then reminded me of the last time this happened, and it was the exact same scenario - the tank was near empty and the truck freaked.

Yesterday I re-filled the tank and PRESTO, the "check engine" light vanished and the truck was running again - not perfectly but about 80% better.

So, my old man (who worked for NAPA for 40 years) mentioned this: Apparently an old colleague of his had a similar issue with an older GM PICKUP TRUCK (v8 engine). When his tank would get low, his truck would start to "miss" badly - when they finally found the problem, it was the filter/sock in the tank itself.

I have already replaced the "fuel filter" outside the tank, so, can we assume that MY fuel pump may have some sort of a filter on it as well? And if this is the case, can we also assume that if we replace said fuel pump in its entirety, the issue could be solved?
Yes but you do know the fuel pump screen is replaceable it self, but if you have more then 150,000 miles or close to it. You may want to replace the sending unit, there only rated for up to 150,000 miles and anything after that is borrowed time.

Good luck and keep us posed.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Haha, what I know about cars could fit nicely into an ant's pocketbook and still have room left over for a turkey dinner ...

Funny thing is that my truck just hit the 145,000 mile mark so, if we were to assume it was a fuel pump issue, I was just going to replace the entire thing anyway - which is what I am assuming you are hinting at?

Ok, so here is where I get your pro opinion - given all of the symptoms I have described in this thread - 1) The "missing or "surging", 2) the fuel filter replaced, 3) "check engine light" coming off and on, 4) the 2 error codes given, 5) 1 full tank mixed w "injector cleaner" which seemed to help? - What or where would you proceed with next?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 PM

Cool

Quote:
Haha, what I know about cars could fit nicely into an ant's pocketbook and still have room left over for a turkey dinner ...

Funny thing is that my truck just hit the 145,000 mile mark so, if we were to assume it was a fuel pump issue, I was just going to replace the entire thing anyway - which is what I am assuming you are hinting at?

Ok, so here is where I get your pro opinion - given all of the symptoms I have described in this thread - 1) The "missing or "surging", 2) the fuel filter replaced, 3) "check engine light" coming off and on, 4) the 2 error codes given, 5) 1 full tank mixed w "injector cleaner" which seemed to help? - What or where would you proceed with next?
Start with the simple and reset your PCM. You can do this by turning your ignition switch to the on position. (engine not running) and then pull the ECM fuse out for 1 min then place back in.

Once fuse is back in, turn ignition switch off for 10 seconds and on again for 30 seconds (engine not running). After 30 seconds up, start the engine and let idle for 5 min then go for a test drive. If the engine stalls after you fisrt start it, let it. The PCM is just relearning the engine's condition and taking all the input for the sensors.

You should not have any codes stored in your PCM and any codes that you can pull will be new or active for you to address. If your P0122 code is still there, then inspect the wire leads to your TPS or replace your TPS.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Ok will do. Any shot you'd have any idea where the TPS is on my GMC 98 Sonoma? I should have no problem getting a new one from a parts house - but I honestly have ZERO idea where it is located?

Actually, would you know of a website where I'd be able to find a schematic for my truck so I can more easily find where all of these various parts are located (in case I can replace them myself?)