gmc forums   gmc forums

ATTENTION: We'd like to start off 2014 right and to do that, we need moderators. If you're interested in helping out,
please use the contact link at the bottom of any page to get in touch with me. Thank you very much! And have a safe/happy new year...

Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles No Longer In Production > GMC Jimmy Forum

GMC Jimmy Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Jimmy

GMC Forum: 93 jimmy dies on freeway while driving

Old 12-23-2010, 11:29 PM

Default 93 jimmy dies on freeway while driving

So my wife is driving home and calls me saying the truck died out while driving on the freeway. I ended up pushing it home with another vechicle. The battery has plenty of power, cranks over but is not catching to start. When it does start, it idles rough when you give it gas it bogs down and dies. My first thought is the distributor needs to be replaced? Fuel pump, fuel filter, and injectors I know these can also be possible causes but they seem a litte more far fetched. I have noticed that on the freeway cruising jsut giving it a little gas I can feel a stutter but not to bad. I want to say the distributor is done, any tips I would appreciate if anyone has gone through this. Thank you
Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510GMC View Post
So my wife is driving home and calls me saying the truck died out while driving on the freeway. I ended up pushing it home with another vechicle. The battery has plenty of power, cranks over but is not catching to start. When it does start, it idles rough when you give it gas it bogs down and dies. My first thought is the distributor needs to be replaced? Fuel pump, fuel filter, and injectors I know these can also be possible causes but they seem a litte more far fetched. I have noticed that on the freeway cruising jsut giving it a little gas I can feel a stutter but not to bad. I want to say the distributor is done, any tips I would appreciate if anyone has gone through this. Thank you
NO check engine light on??? Fuel filter or pump. Most likely a dirty fuel filter if it has not been replaced yet. A bad fuel pump or dirty fuel filter will not set a check engine light.

The other issue that can cause this is a bad ICM, (Ignition Control Module). You can remove yours and have it tested at Auto Zone or Parts source and if it fails the test. Replace it and test it three times. When the ICM heats up when it's bad, you get the issues your have described and when it cools down it will work again till it totally fails which is a no run situation.

Start with the simple and replace your fuel filter and have the ICM tested when you pick up the fuel filter. Here is also a link your to to retrieve any DTC codes you may have. http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 PM

No engine lights coming on, I'll check out your recomendation and reply back to this post. Thank you and Merry Christmas!!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM

So I pulled the spark plug wire, cranked it over and it looks like I'm getting spark. I'm noticing now that when I click the key over I don't hear the fuel pump noise. I assume now it's the fuel pump, gotta look into how to check if that is the case.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Check the fuel pump relay first. if that is not getting power the fuel pump wopnt turn on. hate to have you're place a perfectly good pump when the relay is under the hood
Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM

disconnected the wiring for the fuel pump, put it back now I hear the fuel pump when I click it. Still won't start, now I have to check the fuel filter. ARGH!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:50 AM

Cool

Quote:
disconnected the wiring for the fuel pump, put it back now I hear the fuel pump when I click it. Still won't start, now I have to check the fuel filter. ARGH!
Keep us posted and try to spray some starter fluid to see the the engine starts. if it does then you have fuel pressure issues from a bad ground tot he fuel pump to a worn out fuel pump or a simple dirty fuel filter.

Keep us posted and don't use to much starter fluid, don't want you to kill the upper intake of your engine.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM

I'm thanking everyone in advance for the help so far. I think I might out found the source. I bought a fuel pressure tester that you screw into the fuel pressure valve. When trying to start psi doesn't even reach 15psi. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the truck fires up momentairly. So I bet money it has to be a fuel pump or a clogged filter.Just to make sure the location of the fuel fliter it is mounted on the frame under on the driver side? I am going to swap that out first and re check, but if I am getting the same results then it must be the fuel pump. Not looking forward to dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 AM

You are correct on the location of fuel filter.
Silver colour cylinder.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM

Cool

Quote:
I'm thanking everyone in advance for the help so far. I think I might out found the source. I bought a fuel pressure tester that you screw into the fuel pressure valve. When trying to start psi doesn't even reach 15psi. I sprayed starter fluid in the intake and the truck fires up momentairly. So I bet money it has to be a fuel pump or a clogged filter.Just to make sure the location of the fuel fliter it is mounted on the frame under on the driver side? I am going to swap that out first and re check, but if I am getting the same results then it must be the fuel pump. Not looking forward to dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump. Thanks again.
Take note that a bad ground wire will also cause the same issue as a bad fuel filter. Start with checking the ground wire first which is grounded to the frame, separate from the sending unit harness.

Just don't want you to go through all the issues of replacing the fuel pump and still have the same issue. Good luck and keep us posted and as Barks mentioned, replace the fuel filter first.