gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles No Longer In Production > GMC Sonoma Forum

GMC Sonoma Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sonoma

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: Catalytic Converter

Old 12-25-2010, 01:27 PM

Default Catalytic Converter

My catalytic converter has been rattling but stopped yesterday but the truck sounds like it is stopped up and has no power. How does the sensor that screws into the pipe disconnect and can you remove the insides of the converter and continue to use the one i have? Thanks Railroadman

Old 12-25-2010, 04:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroadman View Post
My catalytic converter has been rattling but stopped yesterday but the truck sounds like it is stopped up and has no power. How does the sensor that screws into the pipe disconnect and can you remove the insides of the converter and continue to use the one i have? Thanks Railroadman
Your going to have to replace the Catalytic Convert before you burn out a valve i your engine. The exhaust will not flow at the proper rate and will cause your exhaust from the Catalytic to the engine to heat up which can get hot enough to burn out a exhaust valve in the worst case.

Good luck and the after market Catalytic like http://www.car-sound.com/ is priced better then the OEM.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Can you run without a converter on the truck? What is the purpose of the converter? Thanks Railroadman
Old 12-25-2010, 05:43 PM

Cool

Quote:
Can you run without a converter on the truck? What is the purpose of the converter? Thanks Railroadman
Nope, you need it for the emission unless your keeping your Sonoma a off road use only toy. To run your Sonoma without a catalytic converter, you need to have the PCM programed to run it without one like the GM's sold in Southern Arabia.

The program's that the North American cars need the back pressure created from the Catalytic Converter and also the O2 sensor readings to calculate the A/R needed to run the engine at it's peak performance.

I used the universal http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...ct/49state.asp on my Jimmy and re-tuned the PCM for the higher flow of exhaust from the high flow Magnaflow.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:35 PM

I am looking at a direct fit converter at Advance Auto Parts. $179 and looks like a fairly easy swap except the oxygen sensor. How do you go about taking it out of the old one. Don't want to mess it up. Looks like 6 bolts remove the sensor and it is out reverse the order and it is in. Probally want be that simple would it?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:42 PM

Cool

Quote:
I am looking at a direct fit converter at Advance Auto Parts. $179 and looks like a fairly easy swap except the oxygen sensor. How do you go about taking it out of the old one. Don't want to mess it up. Looks like 6 bolts remove the sensor and it is out reverse the order and it is in. Probally want be that simple would it?
Nope, i think i recall you have to disconnect the transmission cross member from the fame to clear the Catalytic Converter. Other then that, everything else is simple.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:21 AM

How does the oxygen sensor come out? That is my main concern, not to mess it up. Thanks
Old 12-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Cool

Quote:
How does the oxygen sensor come out? That is my main concern, not to mess it up. Thanks
You can pick up a O2 sensor socket or use a wrench. Unclip the O2 sensor's electrical connection and undo the O2 sensor like you would with a spark plug.

If you do use a wrench, slip the electrical wire through the wrench and with the wrench on the O2 sensor. Tap the wrench with a hammer to break the O2 sensor loose so you can undo it from the exhaust pipe.

The O2 sensor socket is cheap enough to buy or you can rent it from Auto Zone and you get the money back when you bring the socket back so it really a free loner tool.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM

I went for the $200.00 bolt on converter by walker because of the 5 year verses 1 year warranty. One day 20% off internet orders at advance so i got it for $160.00. The only problem i had was the old converter had studs pressed in on each end and the new one did not. So i bought 6 bolts and it fit like a glove. The oxygen sensor came right out and all the nuts came off. I did put some anti seaze on the sensor and the bolts, don't know if that will do any good but it is on there if it hadn't burt off by now. I could shake the old converter and here the awfull rattle inside and if you stopped just right it would block the exhaust end of the converter. That's were i was. Truck seems to run a lot better. Thanks for your help. I have one other problem that i would like to fix but i will start a new post for it. Thanks Again Railroadman