gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: Brand new rusty truck

Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Angry Brand new rusty truck

2010 Sierra now has 3500 miles on it. It has tiny rust spots all over the sides
of the truck. Have been working with the dealers body shop foreman. Today the body shop tried an acid wash to neutralize the rust spots. It did not work.
The shop foreman said he will contact GM to see what the next step is. I've
heard the GM excuses (thru my dealer) from the tech service department. Rail
dust etc. Don't really care what the excuse is. If I wanted a rusty truck I
would have bought used. I am pleased with the way my dealership has approached this, so far. Since I'm disgusted with this vehicle there are a couple other things I don't like. The new 6 speed auto trans shifts into 5th gear when cruising around town at 30 mph. And apparently the Active Fuel Mgt shuts down 4 cyls at the same time. I am very unhappy with this truck. Even if they gave me back $10,000 dollars of my $30,000 dollar investment I don't like this truck. $10,000 is what I could have saved buying the same truck used. I am very disgusted with GM. Thanks for the brand new rusty truck.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg18566 View Post
2010 Sierra now has 3500 miles on it. It has tiny rust spots all over the sides
of the truck. Have been working with the dealers body shop foreman. Today the body shop tried an acid wash to neutralize the rust spots. It did not work.
The shop foreman said he will contact GM to see what the next step is. I've
heard the GM excuses (thru my dealer) from the tech service department. Rail
dust etc. Don't really care what the excuse is. If I wanted a rusty truck I
would have bought used. I am pleased with the way my dealership has approached this, so far. Since I'm disgusted with this vehicle there are a couple other things I don't like. The new 6 speed auto trans shifts into 5th gear when cruising around town at 30 mph. And apparently the Active Fuel Mgt shuts down 4 cyls at the same time. I am very unhappy with this truck. Even if they gave me back $10,000 dollars of my $30,000 dollar investment I don't like this truck. $10,000 is what I could have saved buying the same truck used. I am very disgusted with GM. Thanks for the brand new rusty truck.
Keep going back to the dealer and start building a case for a "lemon Law" return. You need documentation for each visit that they did not fix the problem. It sounds like contaminated paint and maybe the only way to fix it is to strip and repaint the truck. Keep going back and make sure they write down the problem and give you a copy.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM

I had a 1992 white Chevy truck that had these small rust colored spec's all over it. It looks like rust but its does not seem to be. I was told the only way to fix was to buff it out with a special buffer pad. The Dealer wanted $150 to do it at the time but I never spent the money because it was not covered under warranty, road debris was the cause. I sold the truck to a friend after 6 yrs, he kept it for 4 more years and sold it and it never rusted.

Guy I worked with at the time had a 1995 Furd F150 in white that had the same marks on the paint. He was able to get the marks out using WD40 which dissolved the marks although he rubbed like crazy.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 AM

It is brake and rail dust, I had it appear on my last WHITE truck, looked terrible. Took it in and had it detailed (they knew what is was right away) they used a clay bar on it and that took all of it off then put a paint sealer on it (looks nice and I'm to lazy to wax). Had that truck 5 winters and every spring same thing. The people at the detail shop told me it seems to stand out more on lighter coloured vehicles, anyways good excuse to have the truck detailed every spring.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 AM

I just raded my white 08 sierra that had those same brake dust rust spots. i did get rid of them all once with a clay bar and 12 hours of rubbing... however that was last summer, and just noticed that 6 months later they have all returned even brought some new friends with them.

I traded in my 08 sierra regular cab and just barley got a 2011 ext cab. no more spots!(that i can see)
Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
AUTHORIZED VENDOR
AUTHORIZED VENDOR

bg18566, I will be direct messaging you for some information on this issue.

Jeff Morris, GMC Customer Service
Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 AM

Default Brand new rusty truck

Anyone reading the original post (Brand new rusty truck) will have seen GMC customer service posted a reply that I will be direct contacted on this issue. Ya right its been how long since they posted the message so every one will think they are doing something.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Rusty Truck

Typical of all American companies today. " Take the money and run " I have a new Harley Davidson $ 20,000. motorcycle which I have had several problems with and they never fixed. They just give you excuse after excuse. The gas gauge doesn't work, they say most of them don't. The seat soaks up water like a sponge and soaks your pants when you sit on it, they say to buy a Harley Davidson cover and give them more money , The front light lenses got a smokey haze on the inside, they say they all do that. And they cry because people buy Hondas.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM

I have the same problem with my '08 Sierra....even though my truck has the 6 year 100000 mile rust and corossion warranty, and it is well within range on both, I was told GM doesnt wanna put that kind of investment into your truck, then I was offered $4000 off a new truck...I sad heck no your going to stand behind the warranty on the one I have why in the world would I buy another! Im still fighting with them and its going on 5 months now! Its ridiculous when I call customer service I was told I was calling Pakistan or Indonesia! Bad first impression GM...will not be a 2 time owner thats for sure!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM
AUTHORIZED VENDOR
AUTHORIZED VENDOR

CableGuy, could you send me your case number? I'd like to look into this for you. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, GMC Customer Service