gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: 2006 GMC Sierra Won't Start

Old 02-26-2011, 10:56 AM

Unhappy 2006 GMC Sierra Won't Start

2006 GMC Sierra
V6, 5 speed manual transmission
99,000 miles.

Long story short....

Truck was running fine. Meticulously maintained (all tune ups, oil changes, etc).
3 weeks ago, truck stalled. Would turn over, but not start. Had to haul it home.
Ignition module tested bad (low rpm), replaced. Still no start.
Replaced coil. Still no start.
Battery is fine, starter is fine.
Fuel pressure is fine, flooding when trying to start.
Truck nearly started one time, but thought that it was flooded due to all of the cranking over, allowed it to sit, changed plugs, wires, cap.
Distributor appears fine.
Snowed, took a few days to get back on it, still nothing.
Hauled in to repair shop, mechanic checked the parts we had replaced, still could not find anything wrong.
Checked fuel pressure, working fine.
Cam sensor, crank sensors replaced.
Checked other sensors, O2 etc, no problems there either.
Then to PCM- had that checked and getting feedback.
Compression is fine.
No codes on readers. Not sure if there was a code to begin with, battery was unhooked when replacing the list above, could have reset.
It appeared to have no fire at the plugs to begin with, but now mechanic says fire at distributor is fine, but "weak" at the plugs.
So then moved on to check ignition switch. Ignition switch appeared bad, so it was replaced. Still no start.
Really at a loss. Mechanic doesn't know what else to try. Doesn't think replacing computer is going to fix problem, and a costly option if it does not work. Any one else had these problems? Ever figure it out. This is getting quite costly, and this truck is not paid for, but out of warranty. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:57 AM

One thing though. If you used any non-gm ignition parts look to make sure they were not made in China. Long time friend has a big repair shop and he absolutely will not install any import ignition parts ever again, to many are just cheap junk and caused customer complaints. There is no quality control by these manf. He said he put in brand new NAPA ignition module (made in China) and it would not start, installed a GM one and it fired right up. That sold him, he will only install GM, Ford, Dodge oem ignition parts.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten" - Benjamin Franklin.

Last edited by Z15; 02-26-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Thanks

I appreciate your response, it is driving me nuts. We thought the same that maybe the replacement parts were bad. Our mechanic retested and even got his buddy that works at the service dept at the dealer to take a look. We have tried everything that we can think of and everything we have been told. Has to be something very simple. Frustrating to say the least.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Default Thanks

The aftermarket distributor cap was replaced today, and now we have fire. New guy working on it thinks that the aftermarket ignition module will also have to be replaced. But we think we have it figured out
Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 PM

All of this time you didn't get a CEL?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Default And yet once again.

Sorry I never replied to the message, my computer died and I lost my bookmarks :|.

No no codes, cel nothing.

But here we are again....
It has happened three more times since. The ECM must come from GM--will not work otherwise--just for info for anyone else who runs into this (hopefully will save them the 1500+ dollar lesson we have learned!)

This thing keeps popping the ECMs. Always tests bad, costs a few hundred dollars to fix. One time in all of this it did pop a fuse. We are at a total loss on this. Seems to happen when it is wet or damp outside.

Really thinking this has to be a bad ground, bare wire somewhere but have yet to find anything even remotely close to that. So we are off to purchase another ECM....this is getting ridiculous.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Change the oil for starters if the engine is flooded... it will never start till you change the oil

all the gas in the oil will wash the rings clean and you will have no compression!

how many miles on the truck... sounds like the timming chain to me???

good luck
Cheers
Warts
Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Default same thing again

Each time we have changed the oil, plugs and all. It was the module again. This time at least we were a little smarter, went to the junk yard and pulled one, tested it, it started right up. Going back to get one to keep in the truck. Going to put it up on the rack to see if we can find a bad wire somewhere. It was chased the first time we did it but seeings how the incidents are now closer together, maybe it will be more visible? Who knows. Just ridiculous in itself.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM

something similar happen to my 07 Sierra SLE Ext. I fueled up one day drove about 5-6 miles then it died while driving steering stiffened and pedals did too. it would crank right up but would die after 1min after a while it wouldnt even crank anymore. its really annoying not being able to drive my sierra!