gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: 08 Sierra Low Oil Pressure Warning Alarm

Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM

Default 08 Sierra Low Oil Pressure Warning Alarm

I have a 2008 Sierra with 5.3L, flex fuel & cylinder deactivation. I use full synthetic oil and change at intervals from 7,500 up to 10,000 miles. When truck had about 45k on the clock, I got a warning chime and message in the info center that oil pressure was zero and to shut off the engine immediately.

After 2 trips to dealer, they replaced oil pressure sensor and cleaned the screen near the sensor under warranty. Truck is now at 58k on the clock and less than 11 months after original fix. I got the error message again yesterday. Oil level was good in both cases.

No issues this morning during my commute to work but stopped in at the dealer and discussed it with them. They will fix again if it recurs, but I'm wondering if anyone else has issues with the screen near the pressure sensor getting plugged up? Any remedy?

Dealer says it is about a 3 hour job to access the screen to be able to clean it so it will start getting expensive if I need to do this on a regular basis. Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 PM

well if in deed the screen is really dirty again then start changing your oil every 5 k so this does not happen.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy88 View Post
I have a 2008 Sierra with 5.3L, flex fuel & cylinder deactivation. I use full synthetic oil and change at intervals from 7,500 up to 10,000 miles. When truck had about 45k on the clock, I got a warning chime and message in the info center that oil pressure was zero and to shut off the engine immediately.

After 2 trips to dealer, they replaced oil pressure sensor and cleaned the screen near the sensor under warranty. Truck is now at 58k on the clock and less than 11 months after original fix. I got the error message again yesterday. Oil level was good in both cases.

No issues this morning during my commute to work but stopped in at the dealer and discussed it with them. They will fix again if it recurs, but I'm wondering if anyone else has issues with the screen near the pressure sensor getting plugged up? Any remedy?

Dealer says it is about a 3 hour job to access the screen to be able to clean it so it will start getting expensive if I need to do this on a regular basis. Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.
It's under warranty, take it back. Here is a TSB concerning low oil pressure from 2007 to 2010 GM Vortec family engines.

PIP4158C: Low Oil Pressure Due To Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve - (Dec 29, 2009)

Subject: Low Oil Pump Pressure due to Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Models: 2008-2009 Buick Lacrosse, Allure (Canada Only)
2007-2010 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS, Trail Blazer
2009-2010 Chevrolet Colorado
2010 Chevrolet Camaro2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon
2009-2010 GMC Canyon
2008-2010 Hummer H2
2008-2010 H3 Alpha
2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008-2010 Pontiac G8 GT
2007-2009 Saab 97x
with the Following Aluminum V8 Engine RPOs:
L76, L77, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LS9, LSA, LZ1

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complain of low oil pressure, no oil pressure, and/or engine noise, which may be the result of a sticking oil pump pressure relief valve. In some instances, this may occur intermittently if the valve frees up when the engine cools down.
Recommendation/Instructions:

If SI diagnosis isolates low mechanical oil pressure at the oil filter housing and oil pressure sensor, replace the oil pump, flush the oil cooler lines (if equipped), clean the inside of the oil pan, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the concern.

Notice: If an engine noise is noticed after replacing the oil pump, follow the SI diagnosis and repair the engine as necessary.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Good luck and keep us posted.