gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: Remote start?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Default Remote start?

Why is it that most of the newer chevy trucks have the remote start standard and my 08 GMC Z-71 SLE has about everything and it doesn't have it? The dealer said it is programmed in the computer and all i would need is a new key fob?

Thanks

Mike

Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes08GMC View Post
Why is it that most of the newer chevy trucks have the remote start standard and my 08 GMC Z-71 SLE has about everything and it doesn't have it? The dealer said it is programmed in the computer and all i would need is a new key fob?

Thanks

Mike
Ok Here's the deal. Every new truck comes with a remote start.

This is what the dealer does: He looks at the VIN. Contacts GM who gives him a code to enable the remote start. You get two new remotes and wah-la.

The dealer does pay for that code, and passes that to you - plus a fee for the new remotes. Then if you want the advanced remote, they have to use the scan tool to reprogram it again - again, passing the bill to you. Ive had this done at a dealership when i lost a fob key and had to replace it. So the question is are you willing to pay for it?

You can get a kit online and it will include the two remotes and the code and you take it to the dealership for reflashing the computer which takes about 3 minutes to do. Hopefully they wont charge you to reflash. Yes every new body style truck has remote start built into it that has keyless entry from the factory. All you have to do is get the kit and it's done in a matter of minutes.

Otherwise they have to order the "Remote PREP" pack, cost is $29 retail to be able to install the remote start in the truck. If it don't have the power locks or the remote prep pack, GM will not install a remote start on it. (unless it is a aftermarket one with an extra set of fobs you have to use WITH the factory ones.) However, most dealers did spend the $29 and have it added to every truck they ordered for stock so it could be added if the customer wanted it to be.

True it is just a code they enter to activate it, but it is the FOBS that you are paying the most for that have the remote button on it. And GM does not give ANYONE ANYTHING!! The last one I got from the parts department for a 2005 Yukon was $25 at a Salvage Yard, my bad i lost my dad's skiing.

Almost all dealers that have a "GM Outfitters" (A parts installer and warehouse) near them get them installed by them. It takes about a half an hour to install and program the fobs. Then the dealer marks it up from there. Outfitters are the ones that do the install however..unless the dealer wants to save a few bucks and do it themselves. Most don't however. in my book it is the best option that can be added at the dealer. Everyone loves a remote start, especially in the winter.

Good luck and keep us posted and if your Sierra had the option, visit the Salvage Yard for the Fob remote and have the Dealer activate your remote and reflash your fob to work on your Sierra.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 AM

Actually many come "Remote Start" ready but there is also an option to order it, like my GMC its part of the SLT trim package.

Depending on the model year the truck may or may not "remote start ready"

I could not go back to 2008 models but this the 2009 Online Order / Reference Guide

AP3 Remote vehicle starter system
AP8 Remote vehicle starter prep package

On the list of standard options I do not find AP8 but that may not mean anything.

AP3 Remote vehicle starter system, includes Remote Keyless Entry
1 - Included and only available with (PCM) SLE Preferred Package on Regular Cab models or (PDD) Convenience Package.
Remote Keyless Entry does not lock/unlock tailgate when (PCM) SLE
Preferred Package on Regular Cab models, (PDA) Texas Edition or (PEB) Regional Value Package is ordered.
2 - Remote Keyless Entry does not lock/unlock tailgate when (PDD) SLT Convenience Package is ordered.

AP8 Remote vehicle starter prep package, includes Remote Keyless Entry
1 - To enable remote start capability, new key fobs and vehicle reprogramming are required. Please see dealer for details. Remote
Keyless Entry does not lock/unlock tailgate when (PCM) SLE Preferred Package, (PDA) Texas Edition or (PEB) Regional Value Package is ordered.
Not available on Reg., Ext. and Crew Cab; work truck and SL models.

If AP8 is on the option code label in your glove box then you can get the remote start activated thru the dealer. You have to buy the fob's and the dealer may or may not charge additional labor time to activate it. Dealers are in the business to make money and when ever you deal with the service dept their goal is to charge you and charge you they likely will.

So technically not all truck does it come standard.

That's the info I can find using GM order guides

Last edited by Z15; 04-10-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Yes you need ap8. Now what you don't know is that GM charges the dealer 50 bucks for the codes and program. So ya they have to pass on the cost. Also what most people don't know is the fob range is about 30 to 40 feet only (#1 complant at my dealer ship)
After market ones are way better and most of the time lower cost so do you home work frist. Also most after markets remote starts can do power locks and trunk also panic so only one fob needed.

I know this becaues i used to work at the dealer ship and still have many friends working in the service dept.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM

GM has a optional new feature remote you can get that has a greater range + other features. The oem remote is supposed to work up to 195 ft away and I have no trouble starting my GMC from at least that distance. I know its not 30-40 ft because my truck right now it sitting about 200 ft away and I can trigger the door locks and sound the horn. Same range to start it.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM
AUTHORIZED VENDOR
AUTHORIZED VENDOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes08GMC View Post

Thanks

Mike
Iím sorry but unfortunately I donít have any information on why your model didnít come with remote start standard. As it looks like you have already, I would stay in contact with my dealer on this one.

Thanks,
Laura
GMC Customer Service
Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 PM

Yeah the dealer i bought it from told me a price about $235.00. I paid $225.00 for a remote start on my wifes liberty and that was an install. I'll see how much the kit cost and if they will re flash the computer for me.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Default Remote Start GMC 2011 Sierra, Dealer Installed

I also have had some problems with a dealer installed remote start on my 2011 GMC Sierra. I have read some of the entries here and was surprised that a remote starter was already installed but had to be activated by the dealer who pays a fee to GM and then passes that fee on to me.

When I picked up the truck after having the remote starter "installed"--it worked sorta fine at the dealership. However when I was being shown how the remote start worked, I noticed it acted a little "quirky". I was told to go home, try it out and if I had any trouble, to give them a call. I was also told that I might have to "reset" the remote by starting the truck the old fashion way--unlocking the truck and starting by key.

I tried starting the truck that night with the remote start. It did not start.
I went through several different scenarios--unlock then lock, pushing once to lock, twice to lock and so on and so forth. The truck did not start.
I then unlocked the truck with the remote and started the truck. I then pressed the start button on the remote and stopped the truck. I then pressed the start button with the key out of the ignition. The truck started. I got out of truck locked it with the remote, pushed the start button and the truck started. I waited an hour or so. I returned to the truck, pressed the lock button twice like I was told, then pressed the start button. The truck did not start. I have repeated this time and again. I made an appointment with the dealer for this Wednesday, January 4, 2012, to hopefully fix the starter.

I have two other GM/GMC vehicles; 2011 GMC Terrain and 2011 Buick Lucerne. Both have remote start and both work well. I have not had to "reset" the remote on either vehicle. I can not get into a scenario where I can not use the remote start on either of these vehicles. "Resetting" the remote start by getting into the truck to reset the remote start defeats the whole purpose of a remote start.

Does anyone have any "words of wisdom", advice, enlightening positive thoughts for me or to "help" the dealership find the problem?

Thanks
Larry