gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: 4 wheel drive will not engage.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Default 4 wheel drive will not engage.

Hey all, I'm new and I have this problem. I push the button to engage the 4x4 and I hear the actuator but I have no power going to my front. What could it be?? P.S. I have a 2002 Sierra.

Last edited by Steph35; 11-18-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:47 AM

I don't know what you problem may be BUT I do know this. The push dash switch has been a big problem on 1999-2007 style trucks. I had a 99, 01 and 04 and each and every one had the original dash switch replaced under warranty. They were made by the infamous Delphi corp which was using shoddy parts from the far east in producing many GM electronic parts, switches, instrument clusters and the like.

I would be shocked if you walked into any GM dealer in N.A. and they not have a switch in stock, its that bad a problem.

There are also 2 other electronic components that control the 4x4 so the switch would be a less expensive of the 3.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks Z15. I checked out the electronics on the push buttons and they seem to be in good shape so I went ahead and ordered a front axle actuator. I'll try and replace that and if that is not the problem, I will re-post.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 AM

Angry tried it and doesn't work

Well, I bought a new actuator and installed it. I can hear it when it engages and disengages however, this morning, woke up to some snow and tried it...no go. I still have not power getting to the front. What could be the problem now???? Pushbuttons are good, new actuator that actuates so is it the internals???? Do I bite the bullet and bring it in??
Thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM

I am having the same issue on a 94 Sonoma, lights work, I hear clicking but no front wheel drive ???
Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM

I took out the battery and tray to get access to the Actuator, it was totally shot, I pulled the cable manually and it worked, question can I leave the cable in the pulled out position for now, and can I drive it in 2WD and 4wd using the dash buttons as normal until I get another actuator, or do I have to release the cable at any specific time, answers greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf View Post
I took out the battery and tray to get access to the Actuator, it was totally shot, I pulled the cable manually and it worked, question can I leave the cable in the pulled out position for now, and can I drive it in 2WD and 4wd using the dash buttons as normal until I get another actuator, or do I have to release the cable at any specific time, answers greatly appreciated.
You should be fine. My Jimmy had the same issues but was in the locked position from a bad vacuum switch. It was like for for most of the winter months a few times and it ran fine as long as I service the front differentials.

Since then i have turned my Jimmy in to a AWD by replacing the transfer-case from a AWD Safari and have the front differential locked all the time.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Molson02536
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 PM

Thanks, Molson02536