gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: Rusted Brake Lines on 2001 GMC Sierra

Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GMC Sierra View Post
I've got a 2001 GMC Sierra with 145-k miles. I only drive it bad weather, so recently 2000 miles a year was about it. Two months ago I replaced the left rear brake caliper, disk rotor and pads. I had my son help me bleed the brakes in the driveway. With the engine running, I loosened the bleed screw and had my son depress the brake pedal. I tightened the bleed screw after we got the air out and I noticed brake fluid dripping from under the cab. Upon further inspection, the steel brake line had failed due to rust and the other lines didn't look much better.

I filed an NHTSA report about the brake lines. I just wanted to let anyone out there know about the potential rust problems on these brake lines.

There was a video on CNN this summer about a guy in Detroit that lost his brakes and was driving home in rush hour traffic. The police video from behind showed him open the door and try to slow the truck with his foot. Guess what, it was a GM pickup. I just wonder if his brake lines failed too... Ron

Sorry but this is your problem and not GM or any other mfg. This is not limited to trucks but if they are used in winter weather where a lot of salt is used then this will happen. I've replaced brake and fuel lines in GM ford trucks and cars over the years. No big deal just cut out the old and replace with the new coated flexible steel lines.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
I've got a 2001 GMC Sierra with 145-k miles. I only drive it bad weather, so recently 2000 miles a year was about it. Two months ago I replaced the left rear brake caliper, disk rotor and pads. I had my son help me bleed the brakes in the driveway. With the engine running, I loosened the bleed screw and had my son depress the brake pedal. I tightened the bleed screw after we got the air out and I noticed brake fluid dripping from under the cab. Upon further inspection, the steel brake line had failed due to rust and the other lines didn't look much better.

I filed an NHTSA report about the brake lines. I just wanted to let anyone out there know about the potential rust problems on these brake lines.

There was a video on CNN this summer about a guy in Detroit that lost his brakes and was driving home in rush hour traffic. The police video from behind showed him open the door and try to slow the truck with his foot. Guess what, it was a GM pickup. I just wonder if his brake lines failed too... Ron
Most of larger cities now use DE icing liquid and is more corrosive then the salt that was used. There environmental friendlier then salt but a killer on metal and especially cars and trucks. For the rusted brake lines, just have them replaced. Just another section in your maintenance scheduled and don't forget to inspect your transmission line also, there also common to corrode and a simple line replacement can save you a transmission replacement.

As for that person in Detroit trying to stop his pick up truck. Would of been better if he placed it in to neutral and use what they call emergency brakes (parking breaks or some who don't know what that is).

Molson02536
Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 PM

I just wanted to update this post. Apparently, there are few other GM truck owners that are complaining to the NHTSA about rusting/corroding brake lines. The NHTSA is investigating 6.2 million GM truck for the same brake line problems and upgraded their investigation last year.

Check out these links:

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...e-problem.html

http://trucks.about.com/b/2011/08/01...-gm-trucks.htm

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0d4fe5

Feel free to do a Google search on "GM brake line failure."

I guess the government is dragging its feet until either more people die, or until GM figures out how to fix 6.2 million trucks for an average cost of $2000/per vehicle for a whopping $12.4 billion dollars... Ron
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM

they will never get it pass as a recall
Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Well it's getting worse with my front end sagging so I'm having the shop inspect the front end for other possible damage. I'm looking into a leveling kit, new keys or what ever. My control arm is resting on the bump stops and the other day I hit a bunch of pot holes on the highway and it was so violent I was almost out of control. Winter is coming and I'll be driving the truck full time, and want it safe. I'll let you know how it comes out
Dano
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM

I just wanted to update this post since GMC has not been forced to recall the vehicles yet and still doesn't manufacture replacement brake lines --- But, Classic Tube does! I just bought a complete set of stainless tubing, pre-bent with double flares and stainless fittings for $299 from Summit Racing (eight pieces I think) - to save shipping expenses. The kit looks impressive and I'm going to start replacing them tomorrow - weather permitting. Check out their web site: classictube.com because they make kits for most GMC trucks. And be careful. If you take your truck to a GM dealer, they may use these brake lines and charge you for custom bending... Ron
Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to update this post since GMC has not been forced to recall the vehicles yet and still doesn't manufacture replacement brake lines --- But, Classic Tube does! I just bought a complete set of stainless tubing, pre-bent with double flares and stainless fittings for $299 from Summit Racing (eight pieces I think) - to save shipping expenses. The kit looks impressive and I'm going to start replacing them tomorrow - weather permitting. Check out their web site: classictube.com because they make kits for most GMC trucks. And be careful. If you take your truck to a GM dealer, they may use these brake lines and charge you for custom bending... Ron
Why not just buy generic 1/4 in tube and bend it yourself? I think 15 ft costs about $30 . . . $300 for a prebent kit? Yeah, forget that!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Ran into this issue with a 2005 Silverado. Beautiful truck with no body rust but the brake lines were rotten from road salt.

Learned my lesson by keeping the underneath clean and sprayed down on the next truck.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM

To keep your tk from rusting out (or slow it down) just go to the car wash once a week and get the under cariage wash. so you may spend 200 bucks over the winter but the tk will last you 3 to 5 years longer. cheep if you ask me.

Tags
brake line, brakes fail, rust