gmc forums   gmc forums
Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

ATTENTION: We're looking for moderators. Is anyone interested?
GMC Forum: 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dash Cluster Problem

Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM

Unhappy 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dash Cluster Problem

Hi Everyone,

So I have researched everywhere and I just do not know what to do. My dash cluster in my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 just isn't working entirely. The directional arrows work, the check engine light will come on, however the digital odometer, the tackometer, speedometer, temperature gagues, and fuel gages do not work...pretty much anything with a needle plus the odometer. I took it to a GM dealer a few months ago and footed the bill to have them put a brand new cluster in, however it also didn't work so I had them take it out and put the old one back in so that I didn't have to pay the $400 or $500 for the new one they had just put in. Oddly enough sometimes the whole thing will just pop on and work, however it is happening less and less frequently. The odometer does not track mileage when it is not on either. I have taken the dash cluster out myself a few times to try and check the wiring and connections which all appear to be ok, and generally speaking as soon as I start taking it out it will turn on, again, more recently this hasn't been happening. I mentioned to a mechanic that I know that I thought there might be a short in one of the wires but he told me that would be almost impossible as the wires stay stationary almost all of the time, and aren't moved around or bent a lot. The mechanic at the GMC dealer was no help at all, he told me that it would cost thousands of dollars to come to the bottom of what is wrong and that I would be better off buying a different truck. I would really love to get this fixed but I am losing hope that it can be. I have considered selling the truck but that is a little difficult without a working dash cluster. Some people keep mentioning to me that I should replace some sensor but I can't find information anywhere that there is any sort of sensor in this vehicle to be replaced. If anyone has any information that could help me get this fixed I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for reading my novel!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM

Here is some information related to you problems...............................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Inst...ter_Settlement
http://www.gm-gauge-repair.com/gm_clusters.html
Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15 View Post
Here is some information related to you problems...............................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Inst...ter_Settlement
http://www.gm-gauge-repair.com/gm_clusters.html

Thanks for the reply. I have seen these sort of services before but I feel like when I had the cluster replaced it would have fixed the problem if it was a problem with just the cluster. Maybe I got a faulty one from the factory?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 PM

loose ground, gm has been saving money on wires for sometime, run into a few of thier cars where not enough wire was a problem.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM

Not to be too needy but do you happen to know where I could find the ground on the frame? Or is that something I should have a mechanic do? Not the most mechanically inclined person here lol
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Default gauges not working

just wondering if you solved your issue with your gauges? my 2003 sierra 1500 is doing the same thing and you discribed to the last word! I cant seem to figure it out. if you are able to help, it would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 PM

No resolve nobody can figure it out.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM

thanks for the quick response! it's too bad there is still no solution. I will keep you posted if I am able to get any answers
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM

My High Beam light comes on and stays on when truck parked and key is off. I just learned to deal with it. Grounding is a issue with these trucks!! If you know how to do automotive wiring and a bit of ohms law, the problem can be corrected. Grounding is everything!! I'm just to lazy to fix it.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 PM

Default any answers

my 99 sierra's cluster shuts off and treis to come back on have u found out how to fix urs if so please let me know thank you

Tags
dash cluster, gauges, instrument cluster, sierra, speedometer