GMC Forums

GMC Forums (https://gmcowners.com/gmc-forum/index.php)
-   GMC Sierra Forum (https://gmcowners.com/gmc-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   04 gmc dreaded parasitic drain (https://gmcowners.com/gmc-forum/showthread.php?t=26502)

alan 09-06-2018 08:07 AM

04 gmc dreaded parasitic drain

204 gmc sierra sle ext cab 5.3ltr 4wd.i used the test light from the battry post to the battery cable and it shows a drain.why wont the test light go out when i remove each fuse one at a time.shouldnt that isolate the bad circut?so i could chase it from there.did the fuse remove thing on both fuse blocks and the test light never went out.WTH?i have three positive battery cables.1 for the fuse block,one for the plow,one for the starter.the drain is on the one for the fuse block no other.ive looked for chaffed wires everywhere.under dash,under truck(i have a lift),under hood.i used a multimeter from pos.cable to pos terminal of battery and it says anywhere fron 5 to 7 volts draining?

oldfoggie 09-11-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan (Post 50389)
204 gmc sierra sle ext cab 5.3ltr 4wd.i used the test light from the battry post to the battery cable and it shows a drain.why wont the test light go out when i remove each fuse one at a time.shouldnt that isolate the bad circut?so i could chase it from there.did the fuse remove thing on both fuse blocks and the test light never went out.WTH?i have three positive battery cables.1 for the fuse block,one for the plow,one for the starter.the drain is on the one for the fuse block no other.ive looked for chaffed wires everywhere.under dash,under truck(i have a lift),under hood.i used a multimeter from pos.cable to pos terminal of battery and it says anywhere fron 5 to 7 volts draining?

clean the connections on that cable, on the wire and where they connect, I suspect this does not discharge the battery,

alan 09-17-2018 05:08 PM

cleaned it up and redid 8 grounds and the same problem.the draw drops in half when i take out the radio fuse.

oldfoggie 09-20-2018 06:43 AM

there should be no voltage drop from the battery post to the cable, if there is a drop that indicates a resistance in the cable, usually connections are the problem, the radio will draw current even when it is turned off, does this discharge the battery over a few days, if everything is working ok, I suspect that what you are seeing may be normal,

98trck 09-29-2018 09:18 PM

security system will have a constant power draw (however minuet)
it maybe drawing 6 volts but at a very low amperage
my buddies truck had a power draw that would kill the battery after four days it was the entertainment center on the back of the fronts seats
PETE

Sackren 10-05-2018 05:45 AM

Something as minor as that can kill the battery that quickly? Good to know. Does stuff like this happen often to people?