Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

gmc forums   gmc forums

Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Canyon Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

GMC Canyon Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Canyon

GMC Forum: Advice for Canyon buyer??

Old 08-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Drives a GMC Truck

Thumbs up Advice for Canyon buyer??

I am about to start a search for a 15, 16 or 17 Canyon 4x4. Are there any "buyer beware" items I need to know about these vehicles. It is always good to ask before you buy rather than wish you had. Thanks for any input.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Drives a 2017 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain

Looks like no one got back to you... though its been a couple months.

I researched these trucks endlessly for over a month and I think they are equally matched or better than the Tacoma... I personally think they are much more comfortable and actually perform better going down the road (I tried a few different Canyon, Colorado, and Tacoma trim levels incl. 2WD and 4WD).

I just drove home a 2017 Canyon SLE All-Terrain yesterday. This was a large investment for me, but I'm confident this truck will be good for 300,000 miles or more.

I would recommend going 2016 or better. 2015 was the first year of the new model Canyon's and I think they improved in some of the smaller details with the 2016. 2016, 2017, 2018 are essentially identical except for some of the dash computer options..

Good luck in your search!
Old 10-11-2018, 05:08 PM
Drives a 2017 GMC Canyon. All Terrain

2017 & 2018 models have an 8 speed transmission that helps performance and mileage a bunch. I have a 2017 All Terrain that averages about 19-21 MPG all the time, got 23 once on a trip! New truck to me, left over 2017, less than 2200 miles so far. Like it for the most part, could use more decent storage.
You might find a deal on a left over model, good luck...
Old 10-12-2018, 12:02 AM
Drives a 2017 GMC Canyon SLE All Terrain

Thanks Arby - I had forgotten about the 6 vs. 8 speed. I just bought my 2017 All Terrain and I'm getting 22mpg on mixed town and freeway driving after a few hundred miles. The automatic conversion from V6 to V4 is really cool... so much tech in these trucks now!

Agree about the storage... The rear underseat storage could definitely spare a few more inches if there were less plastic.

Also surprised the center console box does not have a lock. My 2000 SLE full-size had a locking console and it saved a rip-off at least once when the thieves broke my window to get in. Can't even seem to find an aftermarket part. The console 'vaults' are cool but really function better as gun safes or whatever.

My glove box doesn't lock either.... The thieves in my area will break a window to get in and they are FAST! Doesn't matter if there is an alarm system or not...

Last edited by Doublebass; 10-12-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Drives a GMC Truck

Talking THanks for the reply!

Thanks Doublebass and Arby .... I sold my AWD CTS Wagon after realizing I really needed a truck. Before the CTS I drove a 2001 (new) Dakota until 2016 getting good service through 240,000 miles. I just last week flew up to Morehead, KY and bought a 16 SLT Canyon. I really like the SLT wheels and other options. Used cars in Atlanta are high as hell. Working for Delta, it was cheaper for me to fly out of town to buy. It is medium brown with brown leather. It is the crew cab, 3.6 and pretty much loaded with 4 WD with tow package. I drove it 360 miles back to Atlanta and got 24 mpg running 70. It is actually trimmed out nicer than the Caddy and the electronics, Apple Carplay and factory Nav are impressive. I researched the Ram and decided I didn't want the full size truck and liked the GMC front grill better than the Chevy. It has 49,000 miles and I got it for $29,300 including the ridiculous $1975 Georgia TAX. I was determined to stay under 30 grand and under 50,000 miles and still be in warranty. Back at home in N Ga I am getting about 19 around town and it approaches 25 on the road. Love it so far.

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 10-14-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Registered members see less ads. Please sign up! We'd love to have you...