Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

gmc forums   gmc forums

Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles Currently In Production > GMC Sierra Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

GMC Sierra Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Sierra

GMC Forum: 2009 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 paint falling off

Old 04-16-2016, 05:41 PM
Drives a

Angry 2009 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 paint falling off

I just got my 2009 Sierra back from the body shop, I had the inside of the rear wheel wells painted and a fair size rust spot behind the drivers side rear wheel repaired then tonight as I was admiring the nice job I noticed a brown patch on the bottom of the passenger door, it is about 6 inches long and about 1 1/2 inches high at the bottom edge of the door, the paint just fell off of it, I looked the truck over when I picked it up and did not see this so the paint was just hanging over it, I have had GM vehicles all my life but I never thought I would see a 6 year old vehicle rust like this, it only has 130K on it, GM I am very, very disappointed in you and I just bought another Buick. anyone else having paint problems

Old 04-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Drives a

Unhappy My last GM

In the above post i related the problem with my 2009 GMC Sierra Z71 with 130K or 80,778 miles on it, a brown spot appeared at the bottom of the passenger door, upon close inspection you could see the paint falling off and the rust bubbles running from the right edge to the left edge, I took it to a GM dealer as instructed by GM Canada, the bottom of the door was rusting out, they quoted $2105.00 to repair it, I called GM again tonight and they informed me there was no warranty to cover it and they would do nothing toward repairing it, being a GM owner most of my life owning 4 Buicks , a 1990 GMC SLE, a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 and now my 2009 GMC Sierra Z71, I am very dissatisfied with the one I have now, so I will get it repaired and then dump it and say good riddance to GM. I still have a 2003 Regal and a 2012 Verano, if you have a GM in the 2009 year look very closely at the bottom of your doors or you may have the same problem, hope this helps anyone
Old 04-29-2016, 09:08 AM
Drives a

made arrangements with body shop to fix door and stopped off to get gas, while there a GMC Sierra Z71 pulled in that was the same color as mine, only his rear wheel well was all brown, I asked him what year his was and he said 2011, I told him mine was 2009 and indicated the passenger door, he said he saw it while driving in I guess now we look for it on all GM 1/2 tons, he said it was his last GM and I said mine too.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Drives a

I was telling my brother about my problem so he told me about his, a 2011 GMC, he had the rust control module installed by the dealer when he bought it, he took it in recently because the frame was rusting quite badly and was told it wasn't warranty because the body is not bonded to the frame, the rear light over the back window leaked causing the interior to smell moldy, they removed the floor covering and replaced it, he found a cab corner rusting so he sanded it off and repainted it himself, mine is scheduled for repair at the end of this month to get the door repaired seems like this is only the beginning not the end.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:24 AM
Drives a

Do you have pictures of the rust spots for us to see how bad they are?

Glad my 2006 Sierra has only minimal rust at the frame.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Drives a

here is one picture of the bottom of the door, I already had the patch behind the drivers side rear wheel done, the rest of the truck looks good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck door.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	516  
Old 05-29-2016, 05:55 AM
Drives a

well, the door has been repaired so now I can get rid of it, from what I have saw of others of this year I don't have much faith in the body lasting, should have kept my 98 Silverado
Old 06-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Drives a

Default GM Rust

You all know about the serious rust issue that GM has had for many years now with the brake lines and fuel lines severely rusting and causing a safety issue , with many people completely losing their brakes and there have been endless complaints about that issue but GM absolutely refuses to do a recall . I lost the brakes on my otherwise mint condition 2002 Chevy Silverado and had to replace all of the lines at my own expense and it is a major job on these trucks. I contacted GM and was met with the " I don't Care " attitude when I told them that it would be my last GM Vehicle . I now own Honda cars and have nothing but praise for them. It's a shame but GM has dropped below Ford when it come to rust problems and Ford is improving their trucks by using more aluminum .
Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Drives a

thats the same attitude I got and thats why, after endless years buying GM I am now looking at my first Honda or Hyundai
Old 07-23-2016, 01:43 PM
Drives a

Cool I lay in bed at night and hear my GMC Z71 rusting away

well, I had no choice but to get the body work done, otherwise it was useless to try and sell or trade it, I hear they can't get enough 1/2 tons to supply the demand in the US, this one they can have
Registered members see less ads. Please sign up! We'd love to have you...