Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just Click here!

gmc forums   gmc forums

Go Back   GMC Forums > GMC Vehicles No Longer In Production > GMC Envoy Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

GMC Envoy Forum Forum for discussions regarding the GMC Envoy

GMC Forum: A/C compressor smells bad.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Drives a

Default A/C compressor smells bad.

My air recently stopped working, so i took it to the mechanic. After inspection they said that the compressor clutch is no good. 600 dollars to replace compressor and clutch. I can't afford it right now so i am waiting. The problem is it now makes awful noise and it puts out a horrible smell, kinda like something is burning. Does anyone know what the smell is from, and what can i do to eliminate that. Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Drives a

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmich001 View Post
My air recently stopped working, so i took it to the mechanic. After inspection they said that the compressor clutch is no good. 600 dollars to replace compressor and clutch. I can't afford it right now so i am waiting. The problem is it now makes awful noise and it puts out a horrible smell, kinda like something is burning. Does anyone know what the smell is from, and what can i do to eliminate that. Thanks
Take it to another shop, you can replace the clutch assembly alone and not have to replace the compressor without losing any R134a in the system. Here are the A/C AC shop manual pressures:

Static: 60F/50PSI, 75F/70PSI, 90F/100PSI

Typical running conditions from a chart:

76-85F, under 35% RH, low side 30-42 PSI, high side 150-190 PSI
96-105 F, under 20% RH, low side 41-53 PSI, high side 240-280 PSI

http://www.polarbearinc.com/Trouble8_clutches.htm
http://www.car-stuff.com/gmcaccompressor.htm

You can purchase the bearing from NAPA for $15.39, part number P5908-VAW and the clutch assembly. But there a special tool required to take the clutch assembly off. I got a quote from my local mechanic to replace the bearing for around $130.00 for my dad's Yukon since i had to work so i got them to do it. That is about 1.6 hours at the local labor rate, so my thinking is that it might be more like 3 hours for a person that does not work in Vehicles all the time.

Here is a link on how to replace the compressor clutch and bearings, as for the smell and noise. That's your clutch rubbing and burning up due to the bearing failure what has now damaged your A/C clutch. Try not to use the envoy any more the you have to to keep your expanse below $200.00 to have it repaired right.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...ght=compressor
Old 08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Drives a

Ok thanks for the info. You are saying the clutch is prob. no good now? I recently removed the drive belt, and i can spin the pulley but it does grind. From what i can see you can not buy the clutch alone, so i have to replace the compressor too.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Drives a

Send a message via AIM to Molson02536 Send a message via Yahoo to Molson02536
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmich001 View Post
Ok thanks for the info. You are saying the clutch is prob. no good now? I recently removed the drive belt, and i can spin the pulley but it does grind. From what i can see you can not buy the clutch alone, so i have to replace the compressor too.
NO there is a kit you can get at the dealer and most Auto parts store for the your compressor. You can even get a loner tool to remove the clutch from the compressor. I got my kit at the dealer and had the shop do the labor for me since i needed to work and could not do the job for my dad's Yukon.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Drives a GMC Truck

Mine is smelling too, but the pulley is still turning. Can I still drive it? I ordered another compressor for it but i won't get it until Tuesday.
Registered members see less ads. Please sign up! We'd love to have you...