1991 GMC Safari won't start

Deadly Sones

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new guy here...

So here's the story...

I bought this van (1991 4.3L safari) on tues... when I went to see it the owner started it. It didn't fire right away and did run rough but it started. Owner removed batt. It has been sitting for 4 years. Has half a tank of old fuel in it.

I have it towed to my place on fri and install a new batt. Try to start it, with no luck... :( It turns over and every now and then will fire one piston but that's it...

I thought maybe bad gas so I added some gas line antifreeze to the gas tank and tried some quick start on it... same results

Then I noticed the distributor was loose so I verified timing. Good.

I thought possibly the ICM was bad so I bought a new one and a new coil even though I have spark) just cause rust was starting to break it apart. Still no luck...

After while I figured I flooded it so I pulled the plugs out for the night. What should I try today?

I really need to get this thing going this morning... the way I see it is I have spark, fuel and air... what else is there?

Smokey_Beer_89

Reaction score
i would drain the old fuel cause allot of water will be in the fuel sitting for 4years with fuel in it,