1999 GMC Safari Questions

99safari

Reaction score
1999 GMC Safari "Immobilizer" Questions

Hello,

I have a 99 Safari that we are gutting to make a military style personal carrier. We have no problem getting it started but once we shut it off the Van will not start up again right away. It needs to sit for about an hour or more until she fires up again. Is this a factory immobilizer issue? It had a after market remote starter at one point but it has been removed. Battery is in fine shape and all else is working well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Matthew

Last edited:

99safari

Reaction score
I think this may be a passlock issue. Any tips on resetting or bypassing this? Once we removed the battery to do some welding and removed the after market command start this started happening.

fatherof3

Reaction score
Had the same issue with my 99. Bypassed the passlock, replaced the ignition, and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Could sometimes smell fuel, sometimes we couldn't. We had to have the fuel pump replaced about 6 months earlier and an inexpensive one was installed. Will never allow that to happen again.

Denai

Reaction score
I also need help!

Me and my boyfriend have a 99 safari. It just recently started acting up.
We cannot get it to start using the key in the ignition; however, when we use the remote starter it starts up fine. But as soon as we touch the brakes, the van just shuts off. I think it may have something to do with the command start but i am not sure.

Does anyone know why this is happening or how to fix it??

Please help!!! It will be greatly appreciated! :)