2000 GMC Jimmy Ignition key release

gfgalla

Reaction score
I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy 4.3 L 4x4 automatic. Sometimes when I put it in Park and turn ignition off it will not let me take out the key. I have to turn ignition on/off a few times and/or play with shifter a few times. I can hear a little click in the ignition when it releases the interlock. How can I fix????

2000jimmaa

Reaction score
couple questions to start. are you using the factory black top key with a VERY small almost dimple looking indent in the top near the top of the key "guides?"
also is there an aftermarket stereo installed in the vehicle?
lastly, are you having problems with the battery dieing? (is this key problem happening after unhooking the battery? after a power loss in the vehicle of any kind? pretty much anytime the on board computer would be reset?)
these questions could help me cause i had a similar problem for a bit after my new deck install.

gfgalla

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am using factory issued black top key. No custom stereo. Nothing has been done to vehicle since it was purchased. Haven't touched battery either. Do you know how the park info from floor mounted gearshift gets to the key lock?

snoman1

Reaction score
I have a 97 with 175,000 miles.. mine just started hanging up also.. after taking my vehicle in for some other work.. the tech couldn't get the key to release.. after some inspections they indicated that the tumblers inside the key switch are hanging up... basically a wear isssue.. the lubricant inside the key switch turns into a paste over time and the wear against the key and tumblers just causes it to not work properley.. the shops can take your vin number and get a new ignition lock that matches the key.. all for around $225.00 I think including labor.. I sprayed some lock spray on one of my back up keys and just use that for now on... also a good idea to have a spare on the vehicle just incase it happens and you can't get the key out so you can lock it up.. good luck..

gfgalla

Reaction score
I have since found out that there is and interlock cable and solenoid between the Park on the console shift lever and the ignition key assembly that is sticking. Unfortunately, to get to it requires the dismantling of steering column, big job. I also found out that there is a small inspection hole with cap on the bottom side of steering column just below the ignition switch. By removing the cap and pushing in a pencil end or similar, you can release the interlock and remove the key. So when my key gets stuck, usually about 10% of the time, I use the pencil trick. Minor inconvenience.

shar67

Reaction score
Thank you!

I know this thread is old but I have 2000 Jimmy and have been having the problem with the key not releasing. It has slowly become worse where it takes a lot of time to get it out, so when I saw the "solution" about removing the inspection hole cap and using a pencil, that is SO easy and a time saver! Of course, I couldn't get the key to stick to try it but I did take the cap off and put in a test a pencil, so I think this will be my workaround. I really appreciate the idea!:D

gfgalla

Reaction score
Glad to help. My key still gets stuck about 10% of the time and the pencil release works like a charm.

BrandonS87

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing but when I hit the button to remove the key it still has power to the headlight and dash lights. The odometer goes away but the illuminating lighting stays on