2000 GMC Sonoma 2.2 w/2wd not the usual hard start

Blunt

Reaction score
I have reviewed a lot of the solutions to various questions asked here and you all seem very knowledgeable but none of the other threads encompassed the entirety of my issues. I just purchased a 2000 GMC Sonoma 2.2 2wd and I am having an issue starting the truck. If it is the first start of the day it seems to fire up with little to no problems (sometimes it will search for idle especially if I turn on HVAC or turn the steering wheel) but if I turn the truck off and try to start it again (immediately or even a couple of hours after) it will just crank and 99% of the time it will not start. I don't have any warning lights or check engine lights and when I scanned the OBDII there were no DTC's. Like I said I just purchased the truck and I haven't been able to fully begin diagnosing it however this is what I have currently found:
- The fuel pump noticeably primes and I even swapped relays to confirm the relay wasn't bad
- The fuel filler neck is definitely leaking fuel right where the neck goes into the rubber hose. I am unsure if this is the only leak or if the fuel lines are leaking as well I will check when I get home from work.
- When the engine is running it sometimes searches for idle and acts like it is going to stall, but has never stalled on me.
- When braking it feels like I am fighting against the acceleration of the motor even when I am off the throttle and completely on the brake. It only "idles down" when I get below around 5mph. The previous owner stated that they serviced the brakes so I am unsure if this is related to my other problems or not.
- The temperature gauge in the instrument cluster doesn't work.
- I am unsure if the fuel gauge works or if it is accurate as I have no idea how much fuel is in the tank. It reads as full but the previous owner said he put 5 gallons in the tank before I got there. Then when I stopped at a gas station on my way home after purchasing the truck - it wouldn't accept any gas and started to reject fuel and overflow after only $1.30 worth of gas.

The thing that gets me is, like I said earlier, I have no check engine light or service light for anything. Even when the truck begins to sputter as if it is about to stall no warning lights come up on the dash. If you have seen or diagnosed any of these problems and can point me in the right direction to start diagnosing I would be extremely grateful! Thank you!

Blunt

Reaction score
*SOLVED*
Update: I was replacing the coolant temp sensor and thermostat and while I was doing that I noticed a ground wire that looked corroded. When I went to remove the ground and clean it I noticed it was barely tightened down. Cleaned off the corrosion, replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor, and put everything back together. The truck runs perfect now and I have had no issues starting it since. I hope this can help someone!