2012 GMC Sierra Shimmy/Vibration Problem

dzieg23

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having some issues with my 2012 Sierra. It's a 4 wheel drive and it's got d**k Cepek Extreme Country tires on it, they probably have about 30,000 miles on them. I've been having issues with a shimmy pretty much as soon as I pull out of a parking spot. It's really specific when it happens. I will be going under 5 mph pulling out of a parking spot or my driveway and I will tap my brakes and my truck shimmy's real hard and then it goes away and doesn't happen again until I've been sitting for a while. It just started happening since it's gotten cold and today it was in the upper 50's and I didn't have an issue with it. I've taken it into Firestone and they told me that the rear diff fluid needed to be replaced, made sense since the guy that had it before me hauled pretty often. This didn't fix anything. Took it to my local Chevy dealership and they told me it's something in the tires and that they are abnormally worn. I would say this makes sense but since it happens at such a low speed and then goes away it makes me believe it's something else. Not sure if maybe it's flat spots on the tires? I've checked rotors, brake pads and brake calipers and doesn't seem to be any issues there. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm really looking for a place to start looking because I'm at a bit of loss. Any help would be appreciated.

gmc75

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been having some issues with my 2012 Sierra. It's a 4 wheel drive and it's got d**k Cepek Extreme Country tires on it, they probably have about 30,000 miles on them. I've been having issues with a shimmy pretty much as soon as I pull out of a parking spot. It's really specific when it happens. I will be going under 5 mph pulling out of a parking spot or my driveway and I will tap my brakes and my truck shimmy's real hard and then it goes away and doesn't happen again until I've been sitting for a while. It just started happening since it's gotten cold and today it was in the upper 50's and I didn't have an issue with it. I've taken it into Firestone and they told me that the rear diff fluid needed to be replaced, made sense since the guy that had it before me hauled pretty often. This didn't fix anything. Took it to my local Chevy dealership and they told me it's something in the tires and that they are abnormally worn. I would say this makes sense but since it happens at such a low speed and then goes away it makes me believe it's something else. Not sure if maybe it's flat spots on the tires? I've checked rotors, brake pads and brake calipers and doesn't seem to be any issues there. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm really looking for a place to start looking because I'm at a bit of loss. Any help would be appreciated.
Mine rumbled and pulled hard to the right almost as soon as I took off, replaced tires and it's smooth and quiet, one tire was separated on the front. Also, make sure all your steering control and tie rod ends are tight and nothing is loose as well as the connecting rod from steering box.