2017 Acadia shift to park message

s1924

2017 GMC acadia - anyone having problems with "shift to park" message. On August 12, 2019 I received this message on the display and although the engine would shut off nothing else would so took it to the dealer. It has been sitting there since that date waiting for a part from GM. Fortunately it is still under warranty and I have a loaner, but the dealer says GM has the part on backorder-from where??? It appears not in the USA.

cbpat1@aol.com

I have a 2018 Acadia with the exact same problem. I hit the button to turn the car off and it the motor turns off and everything else stays on and the message “shift to park” appears. At first it did it once or twice a day then it increased to fifteen or twenty times before it would finally completely turn off. I dropped it off at the dealer today. I hope they can take care of it in a timely manner.

Smj

I've gotten that message and stuff not shutting off when I've turned the car off without putting shifter in park. So your's may not be making some type of switch or sensor when you put it in park making the computer think you aren't in park thus the message and things not totally shutting off. Question is, why is that part hard to get?

cbpat1@aol.com

I picked my Acadia up at the dealers the other day and the problem was resolved. They replaced the wiring harness that was attached to the shifter mechanism. Apparently there was a TSB on it so it was a known problem.

Much less frustrating to turn the car off now.

cbpat1@aol.com

Well it was nice while it lasted, but it started not shutting off when I hit the off button again and flashing the shift to park sign like it did before. Time to bring it back to the dealer again.
The fix lasted a couple of weeks. I hope this doesn’t turn into a chronic problem.

I also have to have them fix the latch on the sun roof which broke without even opening it. It just opened on its own an will not shut and latch, so I need to take care of that as well.

Smj

I'd be interested in what they replaced that latch with, cheap plastic that is noisy and flimsy or something that actually works well.