2020 Canyon Denali

calico

Reaction score
Going tomorrow morning to look at it. I've read some of the posts about mostly shifting problems with it. Is this still an issue? Also, is there anything else I should be considering that might sway my decision one way or another?

I appreciate all and any input.

calico

Reaction score
Well, bought the truck today and will be picking it up Thursday. Of course, as I had already researched the features (it's loaded), all I had left to do was test drive it.

The suspension is probably the stiffest I've ever ridden on (I expect I'll get used to it) and the seat cushion is probably the hardest I've ever ridden on (I guess I can now pull out of the closet the orthopedic seat cushion my former co-workers bought me and put it to use.

Ordered the Undercover SE tonneau cover online (there was a roughly $400 price difference from what the dealer wanted), as well as the driver & passenger swing out tool boxes, floor liners, wind deflectors, and rubber bed mat from the dealer. This is the extent of what I'll be doing to "mod" the truck.

I did ask that the Assist steps be removed. I found that they just get in the way. Salesman said they couldn't deduct from the sales price, at which point I told him they could, if they wanted to, but just take them off at no charge to me and leave them in the truck and I'll sell them later.

Anyway, all in price for the truck, taxes, fees and accessories was $46,649 out the door.

I'm looking forward to picking it up Thursday and really testing it on the 2 hour return drive home.

calico

Reaction score
A couple of pics.

Attachments

• GMC Canyon Denali - 2.jpg
    GMC Canyon Denali - 2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 61
  • GMC Canyon Denali - 1 .jpg
    GMC Canyon Denali - 1 .jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 68

Ibmikey

Reaction score
Calico, I have a 2020 Denali, my second Denali and fifth Canyon, I have never had any of them in the shop for anything but oil changes (Mobil 1) and a couple of recalls. My current truck is super smooth shifting and I average 24-25 mpg around town. I have not had it on the highway for a trip to see that mileage, best I have had was 27.9 on one tank.

Attachments

• 112119FC-874E-48D2-94A3-E82AB8A57732.jpg
    112119FC-874E-48D2-94A3-E82AB8A57732.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 42

Ibmikey

Reaction score
Calico, Is your Denali a 4x4? What is your impression of the truck after two months of ownership? I picked mine up the first week in August ( built the first week of 2020 production) and now have 3000 miles on it...love the truck but for a Denali it should have power rear window, garage door opener and a memory seat adjuster.

cuznjohn

Reaction score
hi everyone. I am having the shifting problem from first to second gear. I took it back to the dealer, and they said, yes it exists, and it is learning how you drive, and can take up to 5k to learn. after I almost got rear ended, I wrote to the president of GM, and 3 days later I got a call from them. they said it was learning, and there is no way to turn off the learning feature. this is the dumbest thing I ever heard of. the mechanic at the dealer said that if I got one of the larger trucks with the 10 speed automatic, they are worse then the transmission in the canyon. I added the two swing out boxes in the bed myself, at 200 a piece. I also had them add the hard folding bed top at 900 bucks. now due to a bad back, or as I call it OLD AGE, I also wanted the steps taken off. it helped a lot to do that. but with tax it came to 207 dollars to do. I was sitting outside when they were working on the truck, and there were two people sitting out there that had 2020 searers, with the 10 speed automatics. they were both there for transmission complaints. and were told the same thing. IT IS LEARNING. we started talking, and I told them I wrote the letter to GM, and said I might go the lemon law. they thought it was a good idea. but then I get another call from GM this week, a very nice young lady. she said that the transmission is designed that way, and the lemon law most likely not work, because of the design. so I guess we just need to learn how the transmission operates, and not that it learns how we drive.

Scoob

Reaction score
hi everyone. I am having the shifting problem from first to second gear. I took it back to the dealer, and they said, yes it exists, and it is learning how you drive, and can take up to 5k to learn. after I almost got rear ended, I wrote to the president of GM, and 3 days later I got a call from them. they said it was learning, and there is no way to turn off the learning feature. this is the dumbest thing I ever heard of. the mechanic at the dealer said that if I got one of the larger trucks with the 10 speed automatic, they are worse then the transmission in the canyon. I added the two swing out boxes in the bed myself, at 200 a piece. I also had them add the hard folding bed top at 900 bucks. now due to a bad back, or as I call it OLD AGE, I also wanted the steps taken off. it helped a lot to do that. but with tax it came to 207 dollars to do. I was sitting outside when they were working on the truck, and there were two people sitting out there that had 2020 searers, with the 10 speed automatics. they were both there for transmission complaints. and were told the same thing. IT IS LEARNING. we started talking, and I told them I wrote the letter to GM, and said I might go the lemon law. they thought it was a good idea. but then I get another call from GM this week, a very nice young lady. she said that the transmission is designed that way, and the lemon law most likely not work, because of the design. so I guess we just need to learn how the transmission operates, and not that it learns how we drive.

Yeah, im noticing some off shifting from time to time. Im at 2500 miles tho. Its unpredictable when it chooses to do its thing. Sometimes, its an aggressive downshift when im approaching a stop sign, i thought i had it figured out when it was in a downhill position as i stopped...but, its happening at other times as well. Ive toyed with shifting it myself, in that setting...but, i dunno..its not clicking with me.
Im really hoping these new transmissions aren't complete shit like the ford/gm collaboration that everybody hates.