• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for GMC owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

2021 Canyon Noisy AC Compressor

gmdob

Reaction score
Only 600 miles on my new 2021 Canyon with V6 and I'm noticing that the AC compressor growls a lot whenever engaged. Is this normal for everyone else? I'm used to driving a big ole F350 Power Stroke Diesel and it was way more quite than this.

gmdob

Reaction score
Great that's good to hear Brooklyn1951! I'll make an appointment at the dealer tomorrow and have it checked out. It's starting to get hot here.

gmdob

Reaction score
Here's an update on my noisy AC compressor.

The dealership did replace the AC compressor but the replacement makes more noise than the original one so back to the service department I went. The technician who made the repair swears it wasn't making any noise when he finish installing the replacement and recharged the system. They did admit to me that they've had 4 or 5 other GMC Canyon's in with the same complaint AND they've all been 2021's He swears the replacement was not a re-manufactured unit but brand new. Now they're talking about replacing some valve. I think it's called a TRX valve. They say it sets on the firewall not inside the compressor. I fail to see any way that would cause a noisy compressor. The lead tech drove my Canyon both before and after the repairs and heard the compressor growing nose both times. He says they just unloaded (4) brand new 2021 Canyons and he's going to go drive one or two of those this afternoon and see if they make the same noise mine does. He said he fully expects some type of service bulletin to come about the problem because I'm not the first complaint they've had about this..

gmdob

Reaction score
Update to my last post.

The dealership replaced the TRX valve but it didn't help in the least. AC compressor is still as noisy as the first day I took the truck in. On top of that now every time I start the vehicle I get a pop up warning message "SERVICE BRAKE ASSIST" and I'm getting bombarded with emails and text messages from GM Advanced Diagnostics that say the "StabiliTrak stability control system in your 2021 Canyon needs to be serviced within 7 days". I've left 2 messages on my service writers voice mail with no call backs as yet. Probably just a coincidence but aggravating.

Jjtruck

Reaction score
Here's an update on my noisy AC compressor.

The dealership did replace the AC compressor but the replacement makes more noise than the original one so back to the service department I went. The technician who made the repair swears it wasn't making any noise when he finish installing the replacement and recharged the system. They did admit to me that they've had 4 or 5 other GMC Canyon's in with the same complaint AND they've all been 2021's He swears the replacement was not a re-manufactured unit but brand new. Now they're talking about replacing some valve. I think it's called a TRX valve. They say it sets on the firewall not inside the compressor. I fail to see any way that would cause a noisy compressor. The lead tech drove my Canyon both before and after the repairs and heard the compressor growing nose both times. He says they just unloaded (4) brand new 2021 Canyons and he's going to go drive one or two of those this afternoon and see if they make the same noise mine does. He said he fully expects some type of service bulletin to come about the problem because I'm not the first complaint they've had about this..
I have the same issues and noise with my 2001 Canyon elevation. AC excessive noise. The vehicle only had 100 miles on it the brakes sounded like metal to metal when you would stop they replace the brakes and told me that was normal I said if it was normal you wouldn’t have replaced them. Still get the grinding sound once in a while. AC they never looked at . So I have to make an appointment so they can tell me that the excessive AC noise is normal as well. When I had my truck at the dealership they called me and said we think your transmission is making noise. They also had to replace the fuel pump mind you the vehicle only had 100 miles on it. It’s not the transmission making the winding noise it’s the AC you would’ve thought they would’ve figured that out.

gmdob

Reaction score
Hi Jjruck,
You must mean "2021" The dealership told me the same thing about my noisy AC... they said "it was normal". HA! They wrote on my invoice "A/C sounds the same as compared vehicles and operating as designed. Per management for customer satisfaction replaced A/C TRX valve for possible sticking concern causing intermittent noise". After picking up my truck I noticed the A/C was still growling, just like before, and I had pretty much decided to take it to another dealership... or sell it, but I noticed after about a week it settled down and has been quiet now for almost 2 months.

When I picked it up that night I started getting "Diagnostic Alerts" on my dash, text messages on my cell phone, and emails that said the "StabiliTrak stability control system needed attention". I went back the next morning and the service writer wouldn't even look at me he was so angry. I could tell he was getting tired of seeing me. It turned out they left a vacuum line off when they replaced the TRX valve. He was all friendly and smiles when I picked it up that night.

I haven't had any problems with brake noise, but I do get a clunk sometimes lately when every time I start it. I'm thinking motor mount. Here I go again. LOL

G

G-734362

Hi Jjruck,
You must mean "2021" The dealership told me the same thing about my noisy AC... they said "it was normal". HA! They wrote on my invoice "A/C sounds the same as compared vehicles and operating as designed. Per management for customer satisfaction replaced A/C TRX valve for possible sticking concern causing intermittent noise". After picking up my truck I noticed the A/C was still growling, just like before, and I had pretty much decided to take it to another dealership... or sell it, but I noticed after about a week it settled down and has been quiet now for almost 2 months.

When I picked it up that night I started getting "Diagnostic Alerts" on my dash, text messages on my cell phone, and emails that said the "StabiliTrak stability control system needed attention". I went back the next morning and the service writer wouldn't even look at me he was so angry. I could tell he was getting tired of seeing me. It turned out they left a vacuum line off when they replaced the TRX valve. He was all friendly and smiles when I picked it up that night.

I haven't had any problems with brake noise, but I do get a clunk sometimes lately when every time I start it. I'm thinking motor mount. Here I go again. LOL
Sorry 2021 lol. Just dropped the truck off today to check the a/c noise. I’ll update on a/c when I get it back . I’m sure they’ll say nothing Wrong with it. I have noticed when it’s cooler out it’s a lot quieter you don’t hear the noise as bad. I get that clunk as well when starting. Not all the time .

jjruck

Reaction score
Hi Jjruck,

Hi gmdob. Sorry 2021. I dropped off the truck today at the dealership to have them check the noisy AC. I’m sure they’ll see nothing wrong with it. It seems when it’s cooler out it doesn’t make that loud growling sound. The clunk you mentioned I have heard that it’s sporadic it doesn’t happen every time you start the vehicle I almost thought it was a rod knock at first. I might have to go back to buying a Toyota truck never had one issue. This new GMC elevation has been one issue and problem after another it seems like. I’ll update when I get the truck backTo see what they say about the AC.

jjruck

Reaction score
Hi gmdob. Sorry 2021. I dropped off the truck today at the dealership to have them check the noisy AC. I’m sure they’ll see nothing wrong with it. It seems when it’s cooler out it doesn’t make that loud growling sound. The clunk you mentioned I have heard that it’s sporadic it doesn’t happen every time you start the vehicle I almost thought it was a rod knock at first. I might have to go back to buying a Toyota truck never had one issue. This new GMC elevation has been one issue and problem after another it seems like. I’ll update when I get the truck backTo see what they say about the AC.
Just pick the vehicle back up. They said they couldn’t hear any noise after they put 82 miles on it…. I get in it go a quarter of a mile and it starts growling like an angry tiger pretty sad when a mechanic don’t know what they’re doing.