can you manually shift transfer case

Mackee481

Reaction score
Hello - new to this forum. This is a heck of a way to introduce myself but I need help. I bought a 2000 Jimmy for an old woman who wanted a 4 wheel drive car for this winter. Found this nice running jimmy at an auction for her. While cleaning and prepping this car for her we discovered that it was stuck in 2hi.A little tapping on the gear select motor it switched to 4 hi and stayed there. BUT it is actually still in 2 hi (lite on switch 4hi is lit and steady). We replaced the vac switch and control module and checked the encoder motor for operation. I think it is just stuck from sitting . Can it be manually shifted after removing the encoder assembly? Does it have to be running and in neutral to shift it?

I have more questions but 1 thing at a time
thanks

Geophro1122

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere sometime that the owner can actually unhook some linkage and move it manually up under the vehicle. (I know, that is NOT at all convenient!)

cyphercrash

Reaction score
If it has a vaccuM operated Actuator (mine was under battery tray) you can put a pull cable on it but it means mod ding the cable from the differential In The front