Dipstick suddenly High

Hounds

Reaction score
I am resorting to here, this is my first post. I have a 2005 2500 HD 6 Liter.

Started truck a couple weeks ago at -10F heard a 'pop' sort of thing. Didn't think anything because it was cold. Then I noticed black smoke coming from exhaust. I just let it warm up for 10 minutes, gave it a few revs and it cleared up. When I moved truck noticed a fairly large oil leak in Front of truck, maybe a foot back behind bumper.
Checked dipstick and it read like 3 inches higher than the H mark. I was like WTF. I drained it and out came about 5 1/2 qts. Normal for this particular truck. I put in 5 qts of real thin cheap DG oil, let it run for 15, drained that and put in 5 1/2 qts of good oil. Dipstick still reads very high.
I checked the dipstick, it is fine. I can't seem to change the pcv valve as I don't think there is one on this year truck?

WHAT is going on? I took to shop they know nothing, can't figure it out. ALso, the #6 cylinder gets periodic code of misfire. Which would tend to be all that oil where its not supposed to be? IDK.

So, I drained half of it out, so dipstick reads perfect with only 3 qts. wth? I am not driving or plowing with 3 qts in a 6L engine, no way.

What should I look at next? Oil cooler hose? I am not mechanic and minimal tools and bad back and neck so crawling all over the place not happening. I could take it somewhere else to check the oil cooler hose? Just going off some topics I have seen.

Thanks.

98trck

Reaction score
have you had the oil changed recently and didn't check there work
'wrong dipstick, from previous vehicle they did'
misfire- 16year old truck have you replaced the spark plug wires
PETE