Heated Steering Wheel Problem

gobucks78

Reaction score
Just in time for winter the steering wheel heater in my 2012 Yukon Denali has quit working. When I hit the button the indicator light will occasionally flash for a moment but the wheel won't heat up.

Is there a fuse to replace? A reset somewhere? Don't find a fuse listed in the manual.

Best Yukon/Suburban I've ever owned but the steering wheel is freezing!

Thanks

Parts007

Reaction score
There is two fuses, one in the fuse block, #48 Aux HVAC-IGN. There is another fuse inline before the steering wheel coil.

But if you get an occasional flash, there is probably power.

Description: The heated steering wheel system consists of a heated steering wheel, a heated steering wheel switch, and a steering wheel heat module. The heated steering wheel includes non-serviceable heating elements and a temperature sensor. The heating elements and sensor are located in the left and right sides of the rim of the steering wheel. The heated steering wheel switch is located in the left steering wheel control switch assembly. The steering wheel heat module is located at the top of the steering wheel center hub. When the switch is pressed, the switch signal circuit is grounded and the heat module turns the heated steering wheel on. The system then remains on until the customer turns it off. The wheels normal operating temperature is 32°C (89.6°F). The wheel takes approximately 3 to 4 minutes to reach the normal operating temperature. The wheel will take longer to heat up if the vehicle temperature is below –21°C (–5.8°F). The built-in temperature sensor provides input to the controller to limit the temperature to the normal operating temperature. The wheel will not operate if the vehicle temperature is at or above 32°C (89.6°F).

chucks

Reaction score
There is two fuses, one in the fuse block, #48 Aux HVAC-IGN. There is another fuse inline before the steering wheel coil.

But if you get an occasional flash, there is probably power.

Description: The heated steering wheel system consists of a heated steering wheel, a heated steering wheel switch, and a steering wheel heat module. The heated steering wheel includes non-serviceable heating elements and a temperature sensor. The heating elements and sensor are located in the left and right sides of the rim of the steering wheel. The heated steering wheel switch is located in the left steering wheel control switch assembly. The steering wheel heat module is located at the top of the steering wheel center hub. When the switch is pressed, the switch signal circuit is grounded and the heat module turns the heated steering wheel on. The system then remains on until the customer turns it off. The wheels normal operating temperature is 32°C (89.6°F). The wheel takes approximately 3 to 4 minutes to reach the normal operating temperature. The wheel will take longer to heat up if the vehicle temperature is below –21°C (–5.8°F). The built-in temperature sensor provides input to the controller to limit the temperature to the normal operating temperature. The wheel will not operate if the vehicle temperature is at or above 32°C (89.6°F).

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for the detailed list. much appreciated. Chuck

Parts007

Reaction score
the diagram shows before the steering wheel coil. Other than that, I can't tell. If I find someone smarter than me (likely) who is available and not busy (not so likely), I will ask them if they can interpret the diagram more.

Attachments

• yukonsteering.jpg
    yukonsteering.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,564

chucks

Reaction score
the diagram shows before the steering wheel coil. Other than that, I can't tell. If I find someone smarter than me (likely) who is available and not busy (not so likely), I will ask them if they can interpret the diagram more.

Cool. I will start popping covers tomorrow to see if I can spot it. Thanks for the diagram!

chucks

Reaction score
Well I just checked fuse #48 in the underhood fuse box and found that the fuse was not there? When I went to install a fuse it just dropped in like it was not connected to anything. I am at a loss. I will start looking for the inline fuse next, my thinking is that the system shouldn't require two fuses and that maybe the the first fuse is just constant power running to the inline fuse? Does anyone know for sure if their steering wheel heater fuse is present in the fuse box under the hood? Thanks

chucks

Reaction score
I found some more info on another site and it said that there is a green connector under the dash that has a inline fuse box mounted a couple of inches away from it. It has a 7.5 amp fuse in it. My fuse was blown so I replaced it and now I get the light on the steering wheel switch to blink for a breif moment but that's about it. So now time to pull the center cover. Sorry to hijack this thread but there isn't alot of info about this at least not all in one place.

pro115

Reaction score
Can anyone update this thread did you fix the problem? My 2012 Denali doing the same thing occasional blink of the light but nothing else.

rch438

Reaction score
Resolved - I know this is an old thread, but finding little definitive instruction on the matter, I'm going around online to describe what fixed it for me.

2012 Sierra Denali HD Heated Steering Wheel Fix
Symptom was the steering wheel switch for the heated steering wheel would not light (not even flash), and the wheel wouldn't turn on. If yours flashes, that may be a different problem and solution.
There is an inline fuse under the steering column. It is accessible laying on the floor and reaching up from the pedals, no need to remove the column covers. The line is brown. The fuse is 7.5A. There was electrical tape wrapped over the fuse head and holding the fuse block to the wire for support. The fuse was fine, visually, and with an ohm check. While it was out, I pressed the heated steering button for a few seconds, then put back the same original fuse. Now it works.

My theory is that the little brain that controls the wheel got confused, and the only way to unstick the wayward byte is to remove power via this specific 7.5A fuse. As with resetting other electronics, I added the step of pressing the power button with power removed to dissipate any remaining charge in the ICs and capacitors that may exist in the controller.
I've seen a similar issue in a power roof that "forgot" its park position, and the only way to reset the brain was to remove power directly at the unit (not even pulling the battery lead would work), and give it some time to fully discharge.

I'll be posting this story a few other places as I find similar threads. Good luck.

G

G-571876

Excellent info on the issue however unfortunately the 7.5 A fuse trick didn’t solve my the light only flashing sometimes when pressing.

Akfishin

Reaction score
I have an 08' Yukon Denali with the same issue. I have checked both fuses and both are good. I have tried the battery trick, no luck. I then replaced the switch block on the left side, no luck. I am going after the clockspring next.