Heated Steering Wheel Problem

Ludacrisvp

Reaction score
I recently retrofitted a heated wheel in a 2009 Sierra from an Escalade and it took a few wheels to find a good one.

The blink of the light turning on and back off is most likely indicative of the heating element being too resistive. it should typically run 1.8 - 2.2 ohms in ideal condition, when the flash happens it’s usually because the element is above 4 ohms, typically in the 6-8 range.

there is a heater control module Inside the wheel separate from the switch that can be modified to allow this higher resistance (thanks to a member on the caddy forums) he was able to determine the way to make it work. The STS / SRX and the gm truck use the same heater control module from like 2003 through at least the 2011 model year and probably through the 2014 version of the trucks if not longer. I suspect that every heated GM wheel used this controller.

basically you add a small resistor to the circuit board that tells the controller it is within range.

the only side effect is that the Wheel can’t get as hot as with higher resistance it would take more power to get as hot as original but even a warm wheel is better than a cold one.

Images are hosted on imgur since I cant seem to upload them here.

to access this module you need to remove the air bag and then pull the wheel from the truck.
it’s located under the metal frame of the wheel on the left side, it’s not internal to the left side switch control unit. It runs 4 wires over to the right hand side of the wheel to connect to the heater. 2 of those wires can be probed to see the resistance of the heater. The other 2 wires can be probed to check the value of the thermistor which tells the module how hot the wheel is. The colder the wheel is the higher this resistance is. The thermistor will be around 14k ohms when cold (around 30F) and around 8k ohms when around 90F. the module is inside a little black case and can easily be removed

the site is only showing 4 images in the slide show from imgur but there are a few more photos there.

source ...

Last edited:

watergunman

Reaction score
My 2013 has the blinking light issue with a summer twist: it will turn on and heat when it’s hot outside, i.e., it only works when I don’t need it. I’ll try the fuse idea, but I’m at a total loss.

ChimpwithWrench

Reaction score
I am having the same issue, with the blinking light, but only when my '13 Yukon SLT is running. If I have the ignition in the ACC position, the wheel heat comes on, and works perfectly until I start the engine, at which point it turns off. In-line fuse is good, and no other clues. Is there a relay as a part of the control module?
I have the same issue on my 2012 escalade. Power in acc but no power while running.