High oil pressure

roadturn

Reaction score
My 96 GMC Suburban (350 Vortex) started blowing steam after a trip over the Cascade mountains. Broke down in Oregon. Found a local retired mechanic who replaced the head gasket. He then called and said the oil pressure was erratic and that the rig needed a new crankshaft, bearings, and oil pump. Got it back and oil pressure was averaging about 70psi. He said that's where it should be. Pressure started coming down, so I figured it was breaking in. Then I came out of a restaurant to see a line of oil following me into my parking spot. The oil filter adapter was leaking bad. Replaced the gaskets yesterday and no more leak, but the oil psi is right back up to 70psi, 80 on acceleration. I'm afraid the high pressure is going to blow out the adapter (or something else) again. I believe he installed a high pressure pump -- could that be the problem? He said he flushed it good and still maintains high pressure is a good thing. I don't want to get up in the hills and break down again. Any ideas/suggestions?

kipdon

Reaction score
Wow, No replies?!?!?

Did you ever find what the deal was on this?

Just yesterday my oil pressure ran at 60 on the meter. Its usually at 40 no matter what for the last 2 yrs. Now today its back at 40. Weird stuff.....