lost keys. need help.

Dillon3161

Reaction score
I lost my keys to my 1993 gmc sierra and have to go out of town for work tomorrow. Don't have a spare key and don't have time to get new ignition replaced. I did some Google searches on how to hotwire my truck. I thought I had it figured out but when I connect the 12v constant wires nothing happens. None of the dash lights or stereo turns in. I'm sure I've got the right wire (red) because it has constant power.
If anyone could help me it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Dillon

Parts007

Reaction score
If you are the owner of the vehicle and have a title and/or current registration, your local GM dealer should be able to cut you a key to the VIN. Call them first to find out what kind of proof of ownership they require to perform this task.

safcrkr

Reaction score
Messing with wiring might get that vintage vehicle to run... but how do you intend to unlock the steering wheel and remove it from park (assuming it's an auto trans), without the key?

My local dealer requires title, license plate registration card, or current insurance policy, with VIN and owner's name on it.... along with the owner being present and having picture ID. Depending on year and type of key, cost ranges from $10 (pre-electronics single sided like in a 1993) to $85 for a transponder equipped double-cut key. I have no idea how they handle the new "side-milled" type keys.

Just for general knowledge on key situations, some info I gained in 30 years as a pro locksmith... GM started cross referencing key codes with VIN numbers in their computer system in about 1990, so they should have the record of the 'original' key codes going back that far. But locks wear out and get replaced, and if the ignition lock was changed, their info is no longer valid.

The current cost of a replacement ignition lock cylinder for a 1993 GM truck (old, single-sided, 2 key system) is about $10 at a parts store. With the right tools & know how, it's about a 20-30 minute job. Remove steering wheel, remove steering wheel lock plate (special tool), unscrew and move aside turn signal switch to expose bolt head that holds lock in place. Some were 5/16" hex head, some were phillips head, later ones were torx T-20. Lock slides right out after bolt is removed, no key needed, new one slides right in. Reassemble in reverse order. Doesn't get much easier. It gets more complicated on a telescoping steering column, and those with airbags in the wheel pad... but I've ever seen an air bag nor telescoping column on any 1994 or older GM truck.

(most Chrysler products that had tilt wheels in the 1980s, early 1990s used GM style steering columns and lock cylinders, but with Chrysler keys. They could be interchanged... I had a 1989 Dakota LE with tilt that I installed a GM ignition lock into, when the lock failed and I had none in stock with Chrysler keys, but had a dozen GM key type locks lying around).

Last edited:

Nickron

Reaction score
I lost my keys to my 1993 gmc sierra and have to go out of town for work tomorrow. Don't have a spare key and don't have time to get new ignition replaced. I did some Google searches on how to hotwire my truck. I thought I had it figured out but when I connect the 12v constant wires nothing happens. None of the dash lights or stereo turns in. I'm sure I've got the right wire (red) because it has constant power.
If anyone could help me it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Dillon
Hi,
I had the same issue about a few months ago. Here is what I found out after a long research, helped me a lot. It was a very nice write-up actually, so I'm sharing it here in case anyone ever finds themselves in the same mess as me...
I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
This site helped me save a lot of money to get my new key.
GMC Yukon Replacement Keys - What To Do, Options, Cost & More

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1. Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think the work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2. Tow the car to the dealer.
3. Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:
https://lost-car-keys-replacement.co...ement-car-key/

I hope it helps!