New guy truck problems

Grinch86

Reaction score
Hey whats up people, I am new here. I just bought an 02 gmc sierra 1500. I have had it for a week I have noticed some issues. I bought the truck in a rush which was a mistake but I had to make something happen and my budget was limited. The truck has been chipped and it has a Crane cams powermax power tuner that I have found tucked under the back seat. I have no idea how to use it but I wonder if the tuning has anything to do with the shifting from 1st to 2nd being kind if weird. It seems to shift kind with a jer if I try to gently gas it. However, if I give a good bit of gas the transition from 1st to 2nd isn't that bad. Is this a sign of transmission failure or could it be the tuning?

Another issue I have noticed is there is a whining coming form the ac compressor area. Could the whining be just the belt or pulley or is it most likely the entire compressor?
The check engine light is on so I plugged in the OBD reader and it came up as the knock sensor low circuit. I can replace this but I was also curious if the tuning would have anything to do with the sensor going bad. Other than that the truck just needs some TLC. I look forward to browsing and learning as much as I can to keep my baby on the road. Thanks.

Phatocaster

Reaction score
Yes, the knock sensors can cause some issues. Some vehicles have two and the harnesses are notorious for being bad also. Just a FYI. Replacing the sensor is a great start. If this vehicle has two then go ahead and replace both and the harness. It will prevent a lot of headaches later on down the road.