New to GMC - broken ignition wont crank or start

OOOO

Reaction score
Dear members I hope some kind soul can help me to troubleshoot my 1996 GMC Yukon 2 door. I bought this car from Insurance company, it was stolen, stripped of some interior and recovered by police to auctioned off. I ended up winning the auction, but I never had a GMC before. I don't know much about the history of this car, but from visual, the car seemed like it was well cared for by its previous owner, it has newer battery, K&N filter, and leather seats. If anybody knows the original owner maybe on this board?

With that said, the ignition is broken, the steering column is busted, the locking cylinder is jammed with key broken off, the car won't crank or start at all. When turning the key the lights light up on the dash but that is it, no sound coming from starter its not even trying to crank. The battery is dead now, but when i jump it from another truck, only then I think i can switch gear shifter up and down.

My brother in law suggested I can run a wire directly from starter solenoid or something to battery but he is in another state, and I don't know how I can do it myself without proper direction. I see that maybe original owner already had an idea like that: as I look down to where the starter is I notice 2 wires that were stashed in there, one is has yellow color bottom terminal is shorter, not reaching battery and end is stripped as if to connect to something?, the other in same area, has blue terminal, that wire is long but its not stripped on the end and is tied in a loop at the end. Any idea what they were trying to do with this? The battery + has what looks like a little terminal added on to it so maybe they were using it for something to start the car?

Please any ideas