Oil change in 02 gmc sonoma V-6 vortec?

Bob Tomlinson

Reaction score
Im wanting to change the oil in my truck myself. It is an 02 gmc sonoma 4x4 ZR-2 v-6 vortec. However no manual came with the vehicle when i bought it used. Im wanting to know how much oil do i need to put in it. Should i change the oil filter as well? Any nd all help is appreciated!!!

Molson02536

Reaction score
Im wanting to change the oil in my truck myself. It is an 02 gmc sonoma 4x4 ZR-2 v-6 vortec. However no manual came with the vehicle when i bought it used. Im wanting to know how much oil do i need to put in it. Should i change the oil filter as well? Any nd all help is appreciated!!!

2002 GMC TRUCKS SONOMA 4.3L 6-cyl Engine Code [W][X]

Engine Oil Grade 1......API* SAE 5W-30 is preferred. Engine oil, with filter..........4.3 liters capacity. After refill check oil level. Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft/lbs

Oil filter located behind access panel on the driver's side under the front bumper labeled Filter Access. Note you may also want to run http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/, this will clean up the carbon build up and sludge in your engine. I add mine about 500 miles before i change my oil and when you do, your going to notice the oil black as night :eek:

Good luck and hope this helps.

webf2010

Reaction score
SAE 5W-30 grade 1 is required, and as the engine capacity is 4.3 liters you may also require 4. 3 liters of oil.