Oil change

crusso

I have a 2011 Terrain V6. Spec call for 6 qts oil. When full six qts added at oil change , oil is past hatch marks. When I drain ~1qt out, it shows normal level. I have brought this up at two separate dealers and I'm told not to worry about it. Problem is manual specifically states not to fill above hatch marks. Is it possible the dipstick is that far off. Which do I believe? Does it take 6 qts or 5. Any event would be appreciated. For now , I tell them to put 5 in ill do the rest, but it's a pain
CR

DPK

Interesting..

I have a 2015 V6 (3.6L)...I don't know if we have different engines or not.

I've done two oil changes now...I pre-fill my oil filter first before I install it.. I use the WIX/57502XP filter, because I also use Castrol Synthetic Edge oil,w/Dexos (5w30)..

Anyway..I put in a total of 6.5 qts and that brings the level right up to the top of my hash marks on the dip-Stick..This is after a few minutes of running, then I shut it off and check it within about 10 minutes of running.

Last edited:

Enigma

Interesting..

I have a 2015 V6 (3.6L)...I don't know if we have different engines or not.

I've done two oil changes now...I pre-fill my oil filter first before I install it.. I use the WIX/57502XP filter, because I also use Castrol Synthetic Edge oil,w/Dexos (5w30)..

Anyway..I put in a total of 6.5 qts and that brings the level right up to the top of my hash marks on the dip-Stick..This is after a few minutes of running, then I shut it off and check it within about 10 minutes of running.
That Wix oil filter sounds like it has larger capacity.

But agree about checking oil a few minutes after running the engine. That would be the most accurate level.

My HHR will check proper then as well, left overnight & then checked it reads overfiull. But that is not how to check it by the book..