Oil consumption GMC Acadia

bray79

Reaction score
Hi all. I have 2011 GMC Acadia with a 3.6 liter V6 that I bought new. I have been experiencing oil consumption issues since about 30,000 miles. GM has been aware of it and has consistently said that it was within specs. it was burning about 3/4 at every 2000 miles. Well, it now has about 63,000 miles and in my last test at the dealer it burned 1quart in the first 1500 miles, another quart in the next 1700 miles and only 3/4 quart the last 1900 miles. I believe it is out of spec, but GM is giving me the runaround and wants me to continue monitoring it. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? I want to get this fixed before my powertrain warranty runs out. I'm feeling very frustrated. Thanks for any help you all can offer.
Brian

Reaction score
Hello bray79,

We are sorry to hear that you are having concerns with the oil consumption in your 2011 GMC Acadia. We'd be happy to document your concerns in our database. If you'd like our assistance, please send us a private message with your contact information and VIN. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Andraya R.
GMC Customer Care

bray79

Reaction score
Hi Andraya,
I will be more than happy to submit a private message to you, thank you for your interest. I would like to keep this thread going though to see if there are any others that may see it and give me their opinion on whether the engine is within specification.

bray79

Reaction score
I sent a private message to you yesterday. Please let me know if you did not get it.
Thanks

bray79

Reaction score
I have been updated by the dealership that even though it used 2 quarts in 3400 miles that it is still within GM specification.Are there any other owners out there having the same problem?

bray79

Reaction score
hi Mancadia, yes I am still having the problem..The dealership is trying to fix it right now. They actually rebuilt the motor last week. My wife picked it up and it broke down on her while she was driving home. They towed it back in to see what went wrong. They are trying to fix it, and I appreciate their efforts...I just feel that I may have gotten a bad car from the start.

Bettinas

Reaction score
Hi all. I have 2011 GMC Acadia with a 3.6 liter V6 that I bought new. I have been experiencing oil consumption issues since about 30,000 miles. GM has been aware of it and has consistently said that it was within specs. it was burning about 3/4 at every 2000 miles. Well, it now has about 63,000 miles and in my last test at the dealer it burned 1quart in the first 1500 miles, another quart in the next 1700 miles and only 3/4 quart the last 1900 miles. I believe it is out of spec, but GM is giving me the runaround and wants me to continue monitoring it. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? I want to get this fixed before my powertrain warranty runs out. I'm feeling very frustrated. Thanks for any help you all can offer.
Brian
We have had the same problem with our 2011 Acadia. Burning oil, up to 2 quarts between oil changes. We have been going through oil consumption tests, every 500 miles with our local dealer for over a year. In July, GM finally agreed that our engine was indeed burning oil but my "Acadia was the only known vehicle in the country to be having this issue." I was told other models like the Terrain had been but that there was no record of an Acadia. (I don't buy that) GM was hesitant to authorize an engine replacement and opted to try a top engine clean instead. Well, here we are at our next oil change and what do you know? Down 2 quarts of oil, again.

seloeffler

Reaction score
2008 Acadia

I have the same oil consumption issue. I bought our 2008 Acadia used from a dealer last December. I changed the oil before leaving on vacation to Florida this last summer. While in Florida, the car gave an engine warning light, service stabilitrak, and "turn off engine immediately" warning. We took it into the nearest service station and they found only about 1 quart of oil left. They changed the oil and reset the codes, and fixed the problems. I was blown away since I had changed the oil myself a week or so prior. On the way home, and since then, I've kept my eye closely on the oil and have had to continue adding a quart 1-2 times between oil changes.

hungtdao

Reaction score
With this much oil consumption, the Oil Life Monitor is useless. Many people thought that they only do the oil change when the OLM shows low. It would be too late. The engine and other component such as timing chain will be damaged when car running with low in oil. Now I have to do the oil change before my Acadia OLM showing 60%-50% or every 4000 miles or 4 months whichever come first. Yet, I still have to add more than 1qt oil between this oil change interval. If you search this issue online, the burning oil does not happen only on GMC Acadia but other GM cars as well. My 2nd car is 16 years old - V6 Japanese car which I do the oil change at same time. It does not burn any oil.

GMDave

Reaction score
I have been a "die-hard" GM buyer since 1987. (2 Chevys, 3 Saturns, 3 Pontiacs, 3 Buicks, and 2 GMCs). I have a 2012 GMC Acadia Denali purchased new, November 2012. It has 49,377 miles as of today, 13 June 2017. This vehicle is meticulously maintained and cleaned. It still looks as if it belongs on a showroom floor including the engine. Just after 30,000, I thought it was my imagination that I was burning 1 qt of oil every 6,000 - 7,000 miles. I changed to Mobil 1. Hey, if it's good for Corvettes, it's good for an Acadia. Well, I was still burning a qt every 6,000 - 7,000 miles. For the last two oil changes, I used Warren (they make Penzoil and Quaker State) with Dexos certification. I only use quality oils, period. Either FRAM or AC Delco filters are done with the oil change. Since the last oil change, I have driven just over 3,000 miles. I had to add a 1/2 quart of Warren Dexos last week. Now, I know for sure that the oil burning is NOT imagination. The dealer is checking as I write this. This morning, I dropped off my GMC at the dealer I purchased my vehicle from. They suggested that I may have to do Oil Monitoring every 1,000 miles. NONE of my other GMs, throughout 30 years, burned oil. This 2012 Acadia has never been in the shop for any repairs. Aside from 3 recalls, a new set of tires last week, it has performed flawlessly for the past 4 1/2 years. GM, do the right thing and fix it write the FIRST time. As I have read numerous complaints in this forum with the EXACT same oil burning problem, You (GM) know what repair is needed. My car is under the 5 yr / 100,000 mile warranty. Do the right thing and I will continue to be a GM customer.

JoeGM

Reaction score
Has anyone received any update on this issue? I have a 2008, which I bought new and always had the dealer perform the oil changes. The amount of oil being consumed between oil changes seems to be increasong.

sktn77a

Reaction score
Car manufacturers have ridiculous specifications for oil consumption, to protect themselves - typically 1qt per 1000 miles. This of course is meaningless. A car should go at least 5000 miles before any oil is needed (and typically more). The vast majority of cars require NO oil between changes. If the manufacturer gives you grief, ask for a copy of their oil consumption data from test vehicles so that you can consult with the EPA!

JKnight

Reaction score
Having the same issue. Turning into a horror story for me. Please let me know if you find an answer or find someone who is willing to help.

Tcrossley

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea this was such a big problem until I googled it! My wife and I bought our 2010 Acadia used 5 years ago with 30,000 miles. NOTHING but problems since day one. The engine started making strange noises shortly after driving it home. Dealer brushed it off every time and we got no where for a while. My wife drove it out of town 3 hours away for a trip and called me to tell me it sounded like it was going to explode. She drove it to a private dealer owned by a friend of mine and he informed us there was no oil in it!! I was blown away because I had recently done an oil change myself! We have also gone through two power steering pumps, have a constant whine and clunk noise in the front end and so on and so on! Stabilitrak, windshield washer fluid low lights even though reservoir is full and many other lights constantly on all the time. Had the top engine cleaner performed by dealer, problem persists. Before our warranty ran out we would get brushed off by the dealer. Now the warranty has been expired for quite a while and we’re left with a lemon! I put in a quart of oil per week no matter what, so I guess changing the oil is useless because it’s always fresh, how ridiculous!
I have been a die hard GM buyer my entire life. I worked for them for years in the shop before becoming their parts manager. I’ve now been a professional firefighter for the past 18 years and would never recommend this product to anyone! I have a 1998 Silverado 1-ton crew cab with a 454 since brand new. It has 140,000 miles on it and it doesn’t burn a drop of oil. Sure would be nice if GM would stand behind these Acadia issues!! I would trade it in on a new car, but my conscience won’t allow me to pass this lemon on to another unsuspecting consumer.

SRV123

Reaction score
Oil Consumption

Hi

I have GMC Acadia 2013 model and residing at Muscat, Oman.

currently I am facing a Oil Consumption issue from last 1 year.

I use to refill the oil every now and then and same issue was highlighted by other GMC Acadia users.

Please let me know a permanent solution. It looks like this is a common issue with GMC Acadia.

Your assistance is required to resolve the issue.

telesam

Reaction score
Hey I just bought a used 2011 Acadia with 200,000 mile on it. I had no idea they burn oil. Mine ran out and the engine is now ruined. I am not used to driving anything this new. My last vehicle was a 2000 Ford Explorer and never burned oil between changes. The dealership is blaming me because i did not change the oil immediately. Isn't that something they are supposed to check when they sell it to you? so now $3300.00 down the drain and a beautiful piece of metal decorating my driveway. What kind of vehicle burns 6 quarts of oil in 5000 mile? No light...no message...no warning.

telesam

Reaction score
Mine did not even give me a warning. It told me the RR tire was low...but not the oil. I am extremely upset. I own a business selling and maintaining phone systems and here I sit with no transportation.