Recommendations to switch 2017 Denali from magnetic ride to gas shocks?

YukonJim

Reaction score
Hello All. I'm new to this forum and to Yukons. Just bought a 2017 Yukon Denali with Z95 and 85k miles to replace my 2003 Suburban Z71 with 223k miles. The Denali ride is very rough on minor bumps, but fine on smooth pavement. It has one obviously bad shock (makes some noise and is coated in gunk), but one bad shock does not account for the poor compliance of the entire truck. So it seems prudent to replace all four magnetic ride shocks or convert to gas shocks with matching springs at a much lower cost, and likely a much nicer ride like my old Suburban.

So I seek recommendations:

(1) Are the low cost mag shocks like Lufftmeister very good? (less than half cost of AC-Delco at $420/pair)
(2) Is there is a great gas shock system (understood I need to deal with the suspension codes that would throw).

I did searches on the forums and could not find much help, so thank you if you have soem experiences with this to share! - Jim

Xmarshal

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace the magnetic ride on my 17 Sierra Denali too. There are kits available on Ebay to block throwing a code so you can replace the shocks with regular ones...

YukonJim

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I got an offer from GM to replace the worst front magnetic ride shock (lots of gunk on outside and making noises) for about $690 - original dealer quote was $1100, so I appreciate their offer to share the cost quite a bit. But I found the AC Delco shocks online for ~$800/pair shipped, so I bought them and will have my local garage install them for ~$200-300. He's backed up with work, so won't get them installed for a few weeks; I'll let you all know how it works out.

YukonJim

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the new GM magnetic ride shocks installed last Friday, and the ride is much improved. (Plus the annoying and a bit unnerving audible “clunks” from the worst shock are gone).

It does not ride as well as my wife’s new Lexus mid-size SUV, but that is really a sedan, with under 10k miles, so maybe unfair to go head to head in ride. I was hoping it would be amazingly smooth like the Lexus, given all the cost, but that is not the case.