replace injection system with carburetor or change with diesel engine

Antoniox56

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am the owner of a GMC Sonoma hight rider extracab year 98 vortec 4.3 petrol engine. Well friends, I changed various mechanics and spent a lot of money, they tried tested in all ways but they can't get the system to work well, the engine follows going to 5 or 4 and still 6 cylinders. It's a shame because the car is in very good condition, that's why I'm thinking about solving this way, fitting a carburetor or last hypothesis fitting a diesel engine. I would kindly like to know if anyone has already made these changes and how. Thank you x collaborate Best Regards

Blunt

Reaction score
Trying to convert to a carb may turn out to be a real mess. Especially if you plan to retain the stock computer for everything else (Transmission, Interior, Etc.) of course you always have the option of running an aftermarket ECU but if you are going to spend the money to do that IMO I would make it worth it and swap in a different motor that would be able to utilize all the features an aftermarket ECU offers. Diesel would be a very cool swap for a chassis like this and it would definitely take a lot of fabrication and planning. Personally, I haven't seen anyone attempt it but I am also new to the community. If you do go the diesel route maybe look into the newer 2.8L Duramax Diesel? That would be very cool in these old, light trucks.

Blunt

Reaction score
Peaked my interest so I decided to do some more research and it turns out there are a whole bunch of diesel conversions out there so it is definitely do-able just depends on your skill level