Starting problems?

lovinglyfe

Reaction score
I am having problems with my truck starting at different times. Changed the fuel pump twice thinking the first one might be defective but I am still having problems. When I go to start my truck the lights turn on and everything seems to show that alternator and battery are ok, if I wait 10 - 15 minutes, the truck will start and run normally. Is anyone else having this problem or can any one suggest a solution? I am at the end of my rope!!!!!:mad: It never seems to start when I need it the most!

nmorlet

Reaction score
did you ever find the solution to the starting problems you were having? i am having those same issues, please help or any advice?

Reaction score
did you ever find the solution to the starting problems you were having? i am having those same issues, please help or any advice?

I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re experiencing with your Canyon. Have you spoken to your dealership about this at all?

Thanks,
Laura
GMC Customer Service

nmorlet

Reaction score
I haven't contacted the dealership yet. i wanted to search on the forums to see what experiences have been posted regarding this issue. But i will contact a dealership today regarding this problem and see if it can be resolved without a high cost. I heard there was a special warranty for these trucks as long as they were under 100k miles, is this true? My truck only has 30K...

Reaction score
I haven't contacted the dealership yet. i wanted to search on the forums to see what experiences have been posted regarding this issue. But i will contact a dealership today regarding this problem and see if it can be resolved without a high cost. I heard there was a special warranty for these trucks as long as they were under 100k miles, is this true? My truck only has 30K...

Are you perhaps talking about the Powertrain warranty? This is in effect for 2007 and later model year vehicles and it’s good for 5 years/100,000 miles. I’m not sure what year your vehicle is but since you mentioned yours only has 30,000 miles on it, I’m guessing it’ll fit into that category. I’m glad to see you’re getting your vehicle to the dealership, though. Would you please keep me updated on your progress?

Thanks,
Laura
GMC Customer Service

nmorlet

Reaction score
My truck is a 2005 GMC canyon 2.8ltr, 4cyl w/ 30k miles...i will keep you updated as i try to find the solution to this problem

Molson02536

Reaction score

Common for the fuel sending unit wire harness to go bad and when it heats up from the current, the wires will separate where there is a break and when is cools down.

The wires make contact again, start with the simple and replace the wire harness from the frame to the sending unit and also check your ICM. When the ICM heats up also will cause the same issue when they start to go bad.

Most Auto parts store like Napa, Auto Zone and Parts Source will test your ICM free of charge so you know for sure if you need to replace it.

Good luck and keep us posted. ;)

nmorlet

Reaction score
Hah! So after all the research and inquiring that i have been doing regarding the starting issue with my truck....it was not the battery which i tested numerous times, not the alternator, not the cables to the battery....but was the passive theft alarm. I read on some blogs that because gmc has had issues with start ups, they claim to check all kinds of head and valves that need replacement, but its just a signal from the alarm that prevents it from starting. When i contacted gmc regarding this issue, they claim that they have never heard of this situation happening and for me to take it in at my convienance so they can diagnose the problem, which would be $100-$150 just to look at it. So the truck didn't start yesterday and i tested the theory of waiting til the alarm light stops flashing and then restarting it which resets the bcm i believe. And what do you know, started up with ease. No issues since although if i can't find a way to eliminate this issue, i don't plan on keeping the truck too long. I do not have much patience with things that i cannot depend on, especially a truck that is practically new still.

Reaction score
Hah! So after all the research and inquiring that i have been doing regarding the starting issue with my truck....it was not the battery which i tested numerous times, not the alternator, not the cables to the battery....but was the passive theft alarm. I read on some blogs that because gmc has had issues with start ups, they claim to check all kinds of head and valves that need replacement, but its just a signal from the alarm that prevents it from starting. When i contacted gmc regarding this issue, they claim that they have never heard of this situation happening and for me to take it in at my convienance so they can diagnose the problem, which would be $100-$150 just to look at it. So the truck didn't start yesterday and i tested the theory of waiting til the alarm light stops flashing and then restarting it which resets the bcm i believe. And what do you know, started up with ease. No issues since although if i can't find a way to eliminate this issue, i don't plan on keeping the truck too long. I do not have much patience with things that i cannot depend on, especially a truck that is practically new still.

I apologize that you’re not happy with your vehicle! Since I’m not a technician and cannot make technical suggestions, I’d definitely recommend getting this checked out by your dealer. I really appreciate you keeping me updated on your situation.

Thanks,
Laura
GMC Customer Service

happy 2011

Reaction score
well if it is doing what you say and leaving the key on for 10 mins resets the theif system (i know how it works) the the comon problem for this is the key switch is bad.

Me i would put in a new key switch, program it (leaving the key on 3 times) and see what happens. 90 percent of the time this is the fix and it's a cheep fix as well. good luck

nmorlet

Reaction score
Just an update on my gmc canyon, it has not had any problems since i tried that fix with the key in the ignition til the theft alarm stops flashing, then restarting the truck....happy to know i saved at least $500 by not having the gmc mechanics try to diagnose my truck.

G

G-467928

Glad everything was taken care of!

Laura
GMC Customer Service
Waiting 10 minutes will allow the truck to start, however it does nothing to solve the problem. It continues to happen every now and then. I always have to leave ten minutes early just in case. Can't believe GM would continue to sell vehicles with this problem. Mine is a 2005 and I believe they still have the problem. They know all about it as it is mentioned in the manual. No more GM products for this guy.

like my truck

Reaction score
i am having the same problem with my 2012 Canyon, I love my truck and would like very much like to find a cure for this problem