Voltmeter reading

Turbogus

When I began driving this '96 Subr. the voltmeter was fluctuating between 11 to 12 volts, until I found a loose alternator wire at the battery. It now at about 12 to 13 volts. This rig is new to me but I remember my '77 Chevy PU and my '76 Blazer thge voltmeter ran steady at 14, have thing changed?

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for any responses. :)

Turbogus

I was told be one from another forum that this fault could be the Powertrain Control Module, and from another the PCM controlling alternator output started in 98, while mine's a '96. Can anyone give a definitie answer before I waste money out of my welfare budget?

Last edited:

Turbogus

This is a rough depiction of wiring upgauged and terminals repaired (deoxidation wire brushed and dielectric greased) or replaced with solid copper and dielectric greased.
Green are the terminals
Red is Positive
Black is of course, negative

Turbogus

After looking at it a local mechanic that once worked at the Chevy delaership said I just need to repalce the gauge cluster. Once I finish with 'BB' my Jeep, I'll make a foray to the wrecking yard.

Bulldarr

When I began driving this '96 Subr. the voltmeter was fluctuating between 11 to 12 volts, until I found a loose alternator wire at the battery. It now at about 12 to 13 volts. This rig is new to me but I remember my '77 Chevy PU and my '76 Blazer thge voltmeter ran steady at 14, have thing changed?

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for any responses. :)
My Reply: G. P. Info, 14.3 - 14.6 is normal for most vehicles, 13.2 is the MIN for any charging system. Most vehicle meter are == 10% the best thing to do is measure across the battery while running and make very sure you have clean terminals and a GOOD Grounding , BATT to engine and Chassis. I hope I helped.
My suburban with new Alternatoe readsa bit low on my amp meter but I did measure at the Battery, got 14.3.
Regards.