New, premium styling cues, technologies complement crafted interior
DETROIT – 08.20.2015 – With exterior design the top draw for customers to the Sierra 1500, GMC’s best-selling truck rolls into 2016 with a fresh appearance that takes its signature premium styling to a higher level – and offers new, advanced engineering features designed to complement its crafted interior.
Greater visual distinction among Sierra models and some special equipment packages, such as the Elevation and All Terrain, are new for 2016, which also brings significant lighting technology upgrades. Highlights include:
- New headlamps with GMC signature LED lighting on all models
- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) projector-beam headlamps with LED signature standard on base model, SLE and SLT
- Thin-profile LED foglamps standard on SLT, All Terrain and Sierra Denali
- High-performance LED headlamps with LED signature standard on Sierra Denali and available on SLT
- New grille design with specific appearance for base model, Elevation, SLE, SLT, All Terrain and Sierra Denali
- LED taillamps standard on SLT, All Terrain and Sierra Denali.
Advanced engineering in the 2016 Sierra is manifested in next-generation technologies such as Lane Keep Assist, which helps keep the truck in its lane with subtle steering enhancements, and IntelliBeam headlamp control, which automatically adjusts the high beams for oncoming traffic. Both are added to the Driver Alert Package available on SLT and Sierra Denali models.
Additionally, new power-articulating assist steps are available on Sierra Denali, which makes entry and egress easier.
The 2016 Sierra’s new technologies also include phone integration via GMC IntelliLink, which enhances connectivity and promotes safer driving. It allows smartphone users to connect with applications such as navigation, hands-free messaging and more through Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Android Auto is standard on a new radio with a seven-inch-diagonal screen at the start of production and is coming to available eight-inch radios later in the model year.
Additional new and revised features for 2016 include:
- Hydra-Matic 8L90 eight-speed automatic transmission now available with the 5.3L V-8 engine on SLT and Sierra Denali
- Wireless phone charging is included on all models with front bucket seats
- Available remote locking tailgate
- New, available 20-inch chrome-clade aluminum wheel design
- Exterior colors: Crimson Red Tintcoat, Cardinal Red, Mahogany Metallic and White Frost Tintcoat.
What hasn’t changed with the Sierra is its high level of capability. The available NHT max trailering package, for example, features a 9.76-inch rear axle, heavy-duty rear springs, unique shock tuning, enhanced cooling and an integrated trailer brake controller. It enables a maximum payload rating of 2,260 pounds (1,025 kg) and a maximum trailering rating of 12,000 pounds (5,443 kg).
Sierra 1500 lineup
The 2016 Sierra 1500 range includes regular cab and two four-door cabs – the double cab and crew cab – body styles, all offered with 4WD. Models and trim levels include the base model, SLE, SLT and Denali – with regular cab offered only in standard and SLE trims and Denali offered exclusively as a crew cab. Elevation Edition and All Terrain packages are available.
Sierra Denali is the only full-size truck to offer Magnetic Ride Control real-time damping; and with the available 6.2L V-8, eight-speed automatic transmission and new connectivity features, it retains its position as the most refined, technically advanced truck on the market.
Regular cab models are offered with a 6’6” box or an eight-foot box. Double cab models are available exclusively with the 6’6” box, while crew cabs are available with a 5’8” box or the 6’6” box. A range of powerful and efficient EcoTec3 engines supports the lineup, including a 4.3L V-6 rated at 285 hp (212 kW), a 5.3L V-8 rated at 355 hp (250 kW) and the 6.2L V-8 rated at 420 hp (313 kW) – the most powerful engine offered in a light-duty pickup truck. The 6.2L is backed by an eight-speed automatic transmission that is also available on some 5.3L-equipped models.
Click here for complete 2016 Sierra 1500 details.